3.

When Cal joins his dad for breakfast, he expected anger. Maybe a slap, or a spanking. He knows this level of disobedience won't go unpunished.

Daddy is once again reading something on his phone. When he sits down, he says, "Sleep good last night?"

Cal swallows the lump of nervousness growing in his throat. "Yes."

"Good." The man says and nothing else. Cal blinks, surprised. Is that it? Isn't he mad? His voice betrays little, as does his expression. When did Daddy become so unreadable? "I've contacted your school and informed them the cause of your absence, you falling ill. You missed a few tests but they're willing to let you retake it on your free period."

"Oh," Cal's not even dressed for school. He was hoping he'd get to stay with his dad for a little while longer... "Can I stay home for one more day?"

"No."

"Please...?"

"No." Daddy repeats with a crease between his brows. "You've missed enough days. One more and you might not to be able to catch up."

"I just..."

Daddy looks at Cal evenly. "Are we having another argument about this?"

Cal lowers his eyes. "No. I'm sorry."

Cal returns to his room as soon as he finished breakfast. He dresses quickly, brushes his hair so it won't be as unruly, and sits on the couch to wait for the bus. Harris descends the stairs wearing his usual business attire, fixing a patterned tie around his neck. He's so tall and Cal wonders, not for the first time, was his mother short? That would explain why Cal is so slight. His mother died when he was very young in a house fire, burning away every memory that was ever taken during that time in his life. Harris told him it was too painful to talk about. Cal doesn't blame him; what had happened back then was horrific, he can't imagine how terrible it must've felt like, losing the love of your life, your house, the memories.

He sneaked a glance at Harris once again. His eyes were brown, but they were so dark it might as well be black. Straight black hair, lightly tanned skin, a straight nose, thin lips and a strong jaw. Cal doesn't look a lot like this father; his eyes were a baby blue, his dark hair curly, skin pale. Dimples and full lips. Daddy always said he looked like his mother.

Will he be as tall as daddy someday?

Does he want to?

Maybe daddy doesn't want fucking tall boys either.

Cal's starting to really hate the sound of the bus's horn. He knows daddy can't take him to school because they both left for school and work at the same time, but would it be so terrible if daddy allowed him to walk to school instead? The place isn't so far away from home, a fifteen-minute walk if he took a shortcut. But daddy doesn't like him walking by himself.

He stands up, grabs his backpack and swings it over his shoulder. He looks at his dad with longing in his eyes, hoping that he'll kiss him before he leaves. But daddy doesn't. He's sat on the couch, tying the laces of his shoes. Maybe he didn't hear the bus arrive?

Cal waits for another honk.

Daddy still doesn't stand to kiss him.

Disappointed, he walks to leave their house. Before he closes the door he says, "Bye daddy, I love you."

Harris smiles at him. It's small and doesn't feel genuine, but Cal's heart leaps all the same. "Do well in school, bunny."

As he boards the bus, Cal thinks maybe things aren't so hopeless after all.