Maybe Today

At the beginning of sixth grade, I was a nervous wreak. I didn't know what to wear when I first woke up, I thought all my clothes we're hideous, I was so insecure about what I was wearing, and I didn't even know my way around middle school yet, even since its connected to the high school.
My mother cried and gave me the usual you're-growing-up-so-fast talk.
The morning of my first day, she woke me up and served me a decent breakfast: poptarts. I'm not a big fan of poptarts, but I was taught not to go a day without eating every meal. Yes, that was my mother. She's also one of those moms that wouldn't let me have dessert or leave the table until I ate my vegetables.
My mom is also one of those people who just have to take a picture of her children before they're off to school on their first day, so she quickly snapped a picture and I rushed her along like every year. Beyond that point, nothing was new.
As she pulled up to the school, she told me a final goodbye and told me she was proud that I had even made it this far. I felt so independent for once in my life. I just couldn't wait. The moment I had seen my best friends was when I truly felt a light in my pitch black soul, but then I saw him, and I felt my heart beat faster than it could have even beaten before. I once again got to stair into those bright, blue eyes after two and a half months of not seeing him at all.
Now, this is the part where a problematic character comes in. We just love an antagonist, don't we?
At the time, I was friends with a girl named Josie that I had been talking too since fifth grade. We really haven't been friends for very long, even tho she claims to have known me since I enrolled into public school. That was a big lie. She seemed all sweet an innocent to everyone else, but I knew the real her. She wasn't as innocent as she seemed. Well, not anymore. She told me things that would have screwed up your mind for what felt like an eternity. It was truly traumatic, but for the sake of you viewers reading my story, I'm not going to mention those things.
We all had a circle group of friends and we usually didn't let new people in unless they were like one of us and understood us. We had a lot of people who thought we were weird, and they never really talked to us. We were what was known as the 'nerds' which we were perfectly okay with. What other people said really didn't bother us. As long as we had each other, the outside world didn't really matter to us, and it's always been that way, until further into my life, of course.
After the first semester of school had been over, we had two new students arrive at our school: Kayla and Jordan. Jordan was shy, but had that kind of sparkling personality once you got to know him. He was pretty cool. He really loved cars and the color pink. If you even had a question about NASCAR or needed pointless facts about it, he's definitely your guy. Kayla, on the other hand, didn't really talk to anyone. She was really shy, which I can completely understand since she did move from a whole other state.
I had her in my third period, which was language arts. It was my favorite subject, but I didn't have any of my friends in there at the time. I just sat in the back, listened to the teacher teaching, tried my best to make good grades, and got a couple glimpses of my crush from the corner of my eye, for he was in that class, too.
Once our teacher picked random partners for a writing project. Needless to say, Kayla, this random boy in class, and I got picked to work together. Non of us really talked to each other that much. We had to write about a ruler's point of view on whatever story we had read before in class. Kayla and I began to discuss a bit before the other boy finally began to help with ideas on what to write. Little did I know, at the time, Kayla and I had a special bond for in the future. We just didn't know it in that moment. That's how my first real friendship in the real world started, and trust me when I say that she plays a very big role in this story.