Chapter 2.

The entire week was spent with me trying to do my assignments while Katherine barged into the room every hour asking which font was best for her tattoo. Eventually, she settled for the one that I voted against. Typical. She always asks for opinions, makes it a point to let you know your opinion is important to her, then completely ignores everything you've said and makes her own decision.

"Don't forget we're meeting in front of the flagpole after class. Our appointments are at four so please don't be late." She takes a second to look up from her phone and at me, before widening her blue eyes in a "were you listening?" matter.

"Yes, okay I'll be there." The pitch of my voice goes up in defense. I wasn't listening to a word she was saying, I didn't have to. She's told me this information every day for the past week and frankly, I'm one more reminder away from pushing her out the window. She walked in on me in the shower this morning to once again remind me to meet her outside by the flagpole. I nearly slipped and landed on my face trying to push her out of the bathroom and all she had to say for it was "don't be late."

I watch Katherine pull her black hair into a ponytail; the simple task draws the attention of a few guys and suddenly it feels like we're back in high school. Being Kate's friend always feels like being back in high school. I supposed I can't blame anyone, male or female, for staring. She's beautiful with her bright eyes and contrasting dark hair, all tied together with a natural tan that always glows. She's the ideal woman.

"It's hot as hell in here." She lets out a sigh and adjusts her shirt, before fanning her self with her notebook.

Right as I'm about to open my mouth, Nate walks up to us.

"Here we go," Kate sighs and rolls her eyes before plastering on a smile and turning to face Nate.

"Nathan." She says pleasantly and nods her head.

"Kate." He returns her gesture. Both of them refrain from scowling at each other and rather invest in an intense stare down, completely ignoring their common shared friend and her awkward stance between the two.

"So Nate, fucked with anyone else's emotions lately?" Kate is the first to speak.

"Kate." I look at her with wide eyes, ready to scold her.

"It's okay, Len." Nate smiles at me. I won't admit that even now his smile still makes my stomach flutter, "Can't say I have, Kate. What about you? Fucked anyone new? I'd be a miracle given how—"

"Alright, stop." I cut him off before he can even think about finishing his sentence and turn to look at him, all fluttering feelings now gone, "What do you want, Nate?" I raise a brow at him.

His stare lingers on Kate behind me for a second more before turning to look down at me. His face softens, but there's still traces of irritation etched into the lines of his skin.

"Just came to return this." He takes off his bag and sets it on the table next to us. I half expect him to pull out clothes I might have left in his dorm but I'm surprised when he pulls out a textbook, "Thanks for letting me borrow it. I still haven't found mine." He sighs and hands me back my art history book.

I stare at the material in my hands for a second, "O-oh, yeah no problem," I look at him. His eyes are free of any emotion, he's unreadable. Typical.

He stays quiet and lets the silence between us dwindle until it's nothing but awkward tension.

"I'm gonna get to class, I'll see you later?" Kate is the first, once more, to break the silence. She puts a reassuring hand on my shoulder as I nod and she disappears, leaving me alone with the last person I wanted to see today.

"Nate—"

"I should go," Nate cuts me off before I can get the next word out, "My next class is across campus." He zips up his backpack and slings it over his shoulder.

It's then that I realize I'm standing with my mouth open, shocked at his icy demeanor. I blink the surprise of it all away and finally close my mouth.

"No, yeah," I clear my throat, "I guess I'll see you around." I offer him a closed mouth smile as my embarrassment starts to creep onto my cheeks. He nods and disappears, not giving me anything further attention or acknowledgment.

The next few hours pass slowly. We're meant to be discussing the Ring of Gyges, but I space out and instead let my mind wander to an alternate universe its created out of boredom. So much for that scholarship.

My phone buzzes against the desk, pulling me out of my thoughts.

Kate: Emma's going to meet us at the shop so we don't have to wait for her.

I look up to make sure the professor isn't looking before typing my reply. However, another text comes in before I can finish.

Kate: A girl in my class got a tattoo there, said the guy who did it was really hot

She sends an emoji with the tongue sticking out and I just roll my eyes and send a reply.

Me: guess conner's out of the picture

Kate: It's not cheating if you're not exclusive

Leave it to Kate to have the final word in everything.

Conner and her aren't dating, not technically since they never made it official. They have sex, very loud sex, and go out every then and now so Kate doesn't feel like a booty call or a mere fun time. It's a strange arrangement, but Kate doesn't do relationships, so it works for her, I suppose.

I don't bother replying. Instead I put my phone down and try to pay attention to the rest of the lesson, but missing more than the entire first half proves the task to be a difficult one.

"I'm so excited, oh my god. I feel like I'm gonna throw up!" Kate nearly begins to bounce next to me as we walk up to the shop, "I wish you would get something with us, it could be a commemoration of our time together in college."

"I don't need a tattoo to remember college. I'll have the lasting memories of traumatic panic attacks and sleepless nights." I say with a straight face as I open the door for her.

We're greeted by Emma leaning against a display case containing different types of body jewelry.

"Hey," She smiles.

"Hey," Kate and I both say at the same time.

"Have you been waiting here long?" I ask, grabbing a display book on the counter.

"No, I just got here like five minutes ago, but there's no one here? I haven't seen anyone at least." She shrugs after looking around the worm down shop.

It looks like a regular tattoo shop. The floor is black and white checkered, the walls red and black with differentiating artwork pieces hung up. There are leather chairs and cushioned tables for people to lay on, but most importantly, everything looks clean and sterile.

"Is there a bell we can ring?" Kate asks.

I look around for a second before catching a glimpse of a shiny little call bell resting behind a plant. I reach over and tap it once causing its chime to fill the empty room. We wait a few seconds but nothing happens so I tap it again. And again: nothing. Just as I'm about to tap once more, I hear footsteps and a soothing but rough voice speak up.

"Quit hitting the damn bell. I heard you the first time." We turn to see a tall man in all black. His arms coated in tattoos and an unamused look etched on his face.