Chapter 4.

"It's so itchy!" Kate complains for the millionth time while I continue to tear my room apart in search of my phone.

"Stop touching it, it's gonna get irritated." I scold her once more. She groans and lets her head fall back onto the bed, "Will you please help me look for my phone? I have a lot of things to do today and I need it." I open the drawers of my desk and begin to ransack them. How can I lose anything in these dorms, they're so unbelievably small.

"You've already looked everywhere. You either left it at the tattoo shop or you left it down at the café."

"No, I remember we left the tattoo shop and I had my backpack and my books and I always put my phone in the—" Vague memories of me setting my phone down on the counter come to mind, "I left it at the shop" I sigh.

"So go back and get it?" Kate states the obvious while staring at her tattoo in the mirror.

"And risk running into that jackass?" I run my hand through my hair in frustration.

"Oh boohoo. He was mean to you, so what? It's New York, everyone here is mean, at least this guy was hot. Go to the shop, get your phone, do what you have to do so you can come back here and get ready."

"Ready for what?" I look at her.

"We're going out tonight. That's all I'm gonna tell you." She smiles sweetly, "Now go do what you have to do." She nearly says while shoving me out the door.

I look around the empty hallway in confusion. I just got thrown out of my own dorm and I didn't even get a chance to grab my shoes or my purse.

I turn back around and knock on the door. Kate answers almost immediately and hands me my things before the closing the door again, not even giving me a chance to question her. It's not until I see a guy walking up to the dorm that I realize why she kicked me out. He slows down when he sees me and smiles awkwardly. I've never seen him before and I doubt I'll see him again after today.

"Stay off my bed." I walk past him and towards the elevator.

After what felt like the longest subway ride and even more torturous walk—it's too hot to be doing anything but breathing— I finally arrive at the shop. Like yesterday it appears empty but they have a somewhat closed off area where they do the actual tattoos.

The second I step into the air-conditioned space, goosebumps rise on my sweaty skin and I sigh in relief.

I ring the bell on the counter and it sends out its familiar chime. However, this time I don't have to ring it twice before someone comes to my aid and thankfully it's Max.

"Hey." He smiles, "what're you doing back so soon? Change your mind about getting some ink?"

I smile back, "Much to your disappointment, I have not." I stuff my hands in the back pockets of my shorts and rock back on my heels, "I actually think I left my phone here, you didn't by chance see it?" I ask hoping they saved it for me before a stranger could go and grab it.

He takes a second to think about it before shaking his head in disappointment, "No, I didn't see any phone here, I'm sorry. Maybe Harry picked it up? He's in the back if you want to ask. He just finished up with a client if you want to wait a few more minutes."

A strange feeling bubbles in my chest, almost like anger but not quite. I don't even know this man but I do know that he's rude and cocky and he has no filter. I've never disliked someone so fast and I won't pretend to be a saint, I know my personality and the way I come off can rub people the wrong way, but at least I try not to be a complete dick.

"Sure, I'll wait." I try not to sound as flat as I feel. Max nods and goes back into a room labeled "employees only."

A few minutes pass and a girl emerges from behind the curtain with Harry following behind. She looks overly satisfied and he looks more than content, but if the way she's patting down her hair and combing through it is any indication, I know she gave him more than a cash tip.