real life

It had been a week until Howard Kelly's condition changed. There they were, the grieving daughter and her best friend, sitting in the man's hospital room in silence, the cold air-conditioning making goosebumps rise on their arms. Tess was wrapped in a long sweater, her arms pulled tightly around her small body and a plate of cold, untouched food balancing on the arm of the couch beside her. Jensen sat along side the woman, his strong arm pulling her flush against his side, hand squeezing her shoulder in reassurance. It was silent, the only sound being that of the beeping heart monitor. The doctors had just left minutes ago, having told the rest of the family the day before that they would be trying to wake up the older man. The attempt had failed, only flatlining Howard. He bounced back quickly, the slow beeping of the monitor reappearing. Now, the next day, Mandy and Mrs. Kelly were out getting some food from the hospital cafeteria, leaving Tessa and Jensen in the room to watch over their husband and father.

Jens looked down at the woman against him, her eyes puffy and dull, the bags under her eyes prominent and her skin pale. "Tess," he used his other hand to lift up her chin, his heart shattering at the tears welling in her eyes, "you should sleep. I'll watch your dad."

"No, I can't, he needs me to be here when he wakes up. I-,"

"Theresa, your dad wouldn't want you to put yourself through hell for him. Please get some sleep, T. It's killing me to see you this way." The brunette searched his eyes, nodding only slightly and blinking the tears away. She shut her eyes, pressing the side of her face into his palm.

"Okay," she said softly, "ten minutes."

"That's all I ask." Her eyes opened again, brown irises switching between his eyes and his lips. Jensen's lips parted slowly. "You should lay down." He whispered.

"Yeah." She responded quietly, leaning closer to him, her eyes flickering closed. Jensen met her mouth with his, capturing her lips in his own.

It was soft, gentle. Their mouths molded together perfectly and Tessa sat up straighter, her hand landing on her co-star's shoulder. They moved together, Jensen's hand moving to the back of her head, fingers tangling in her short brown hair.

They pulled apart reluctantly, foreheads touching and tips of their noses brushing. Their breathing was shallow and uneven, but synched. Tess laughed. "Wow..."

"Are you two finished? I'd love to get out of this damn bed..." a weak voice startled the pair. Tessie's head snapped to the side.

"Dad..." she hopped up, hurrying to the bed as Jensen stood, making his way to the door.

"I'll get a nurse and find your sister," he reassured, a smile on his face.