CHAPTER FOUR - THE SORTING CEREMONY

The emerald witch led the children through a long corridor and into a large entrance hall, stopping in front of a set of magnificent golden doors. Massive stone pillars lined the walls, reaching up for what seemed like miles before tapering off into elegantly carved volutes. The witch turned to face the ensemble of students, clearing her throat and beginning to speak, "welcome to Hogwarts. The banquet will begin shortly, but first, the sorting hat must sort you into your houses. While at Hogwarts, your houses will be like your families. You will attend classes with your house, sleep in dormitories with your houses, and spend free time with your housemates in your common rooms." She paused and peered down at the students, her eyes stopping momentarily on Hope's shaking figure before locking onto Harry.

"The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin." Her eyes drifted towards a small boy with luminous bleach-blond hair, who was smirking at his brute friends. "The sorting ceremony will begin shortly," the Professor walked away, slipping through the heavy golden doors.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train, Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts," the blond-haired boy stepped forwards, his lackeys falling in behind him. Mummers broke out among the other students as they tried to push each other out of the way to get a glimpse of the chosen one. Hope shrank back, her shoulders drooping even more as everyone's eyes turned towards them. "This is Crabbe and Goyle," the boy motioned to his two friends behind him, an evil glint alight in his eyes, "and I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy." Ron let out a small snort at this, causing Draco to snap his head towards him, his eyes squinting as he fixated his glare on the redhead. "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand-me-down robe, you must be Weasley." Harry stepped forwards to confront Malfoy, but Hope gently placed her hand on his arm, minutely shaking her head to deter him.

"You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to make friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there," Draco snobbishly continued, his eyes raking over Hope before snapping back to Harry.

"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself. Thank you for the offer though it was most kind of you," Harry sassily responded, his eyes boring holes into Malfoy's skull. Hope's hand twitched on his arm, moving to form a fist as she tried to control herself. "I'm sure my friends will be more than enough." At Draco's answering scoff, Hope lost her control. She stepped up to Draco, attempting to get in his face. However, she was almost five inches shorter than Draco, so she only came up to his chin.

"Listen here, Malfoy," Hope hissed out, her voice low and quiet, allowing only Harry and Draco to hear her. Harry's eyes widened in shock when she continued, "you are a pig just like your father. I would shut up about Ron's family if I were you. We both know that I could hurt you very easily and barely lift a finger doing so. Think about your precious little family. The things I know about them could ruin you." Hope finished, stepping back into place next to Harry and lowering her head, her shoulders tensing while her eyes flicked around the room.

"We're ready for you. Follow me," Professor McGonagall interrupted Malfoy as he opened his mouth to retort, his flashing with anger and fear. The children entered the main hall, gasping as they glanced around, staring at the floating candles and the enchanted night sky that made up the ceiling. "Will you wait here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

A tall, thin, gangly man stood up, his half-moon spectacles sitting askew on his long, crooked nose, his dark purple robes billowing away him, sweeping on the ground, and when he moved, his high-heeled, buckled, cowboy boots became visible. His long silver hair and beard revealed his age. His voice cracked, a dry wispy sound that echoed through the hall, "I have a few notices I wish to announce. First-years please take note that the Dark Forest is forbidden," Dumbledore began, his eyes flicking over to the Weasley twins as they sat with the Gryffindor house. "Also, our caretaker, Mister Filch, asked for me to tell you that the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to all who do not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you," his tone was sombre as he glanced over the first years, gazing at Harry for a few moments before he found Hope and a smile spreading across his lips.