CHAPTER TEN - CHRISTMAS AND THE MIRROR

A few weeks later, Christmas arrived at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The ground outside was covered in a thick layer of snow, making Hope's eyes widen in amazement. Her friends had laughed at her when she appeared to be afraid of the weather; however, when she explained that she had never been in the snow before, they understood. A snowball throwing competition was then arranged later that day with a permission slip from Professor McGonagall, approving the activity. Hagrid had dragged a large fir tree into the Great Hall, and a smaller tree adorned the common rooms of each house. Professor Flitwick and his seventh-year charms students added an assortment of ornaments to the tree, with tinsel draped in the thick branches and a statue of Merlin had been artfully and carefully placed on top.

Hermione had left a few days earlier, leaving Harry and Hope with explicit instructions to continue searching the entire library, even the restricted section. Ron ended up going on holiday with his parents to visit his brother Charlie in Romania, leaving Harry and Hope alone in the Gryffindor tower over Christmas. Hope had initially wanted to go home and spend the holidays with Remus, but he had to spend most of his time at the Ministry trying to get himself a job. He kindly suggested that she remained at Hogwarts with Harry, not wanting Hope to spend another Christmas alone. Hope and Harry had spent hours decorating the Gryffindor common room, picking out a tree when Hagrid had generously offered to chop down a fir for them to decorate. They used various charms and enchantments to drape garlands around the room.

Harry awoke early on Christmas morning and raced down the stairs looking forward to seeing Hope and opening their presents together. He was shocked when he saw Hope curled up on a chair in front of the tree with two mugs of steaming hot chocolate on the wooden side table next to her. The tree was surrounded with presents that surprised Harry as he had never received anything besides Dudley's broken toys and socks as gifts before. What shocked Harry even more was the vibrant orange jumper that Hope was swaddled in. She pulled her sleeves over her hand as she reached forward and grabbed her mug, wrapping her clothed fingers around its body, warming her chilled digits.

"Nice jumper, is it new?" Harry questioned, laughing lightly as Hope jumped harshly, turning to smile brightly at Harry, showing off the large 'EH' that had been knitted onto the front of her jumper. Harry noticed the folded wrapping paper by the chair leg and assumed that the jumper had been a present of some sort.

"It's from Ron's mother; she made them herself. I think you have one as well," Hope motioned towards the tree before leaning forward and placing her drink on the table. She grabbed a bulky present covered in a garish bright red paper with dancing forest green Christmas trees scattered across it. Harry tore into the gift with astonished wonder; he finally grasped the soft material, stroking his fingers through the smooth wool. He pulled out the jumper, leaving the paper to fall onto the floor, and unfolded it, looking at the green 'H' in amazement before pulling the sweater over his head.

Harry and Hope had spent around an hour opening their presents, marvelling at the gifts from their friends. Harry picked up his last present, a thick purple bundle with yellow sweets on it. He gently tugged at the string, keeping the paper together until it fell away, revealing the thick cloak underneath; the grey colour seemed to move with liquid-like magic. "What is it?" Harry asked, throwing the cloak around his shoulders, not noticing that his body from the neck down disappeared and became invisible.

"It's an invisibility cloak; they're scarce," Hope gasped out. She blinked harshly, bringing her hands up to rub her eyes and then checking if Harry's body was still hidden from view. "Who's it from?" Hope questioned.

"It doesn't say," Harry grabbed a piece of parchment from the floor and glanced at the words, squinting slightly as he read it. "Your father left this in my possession shortly before he died. It is time it was returned to you. Use it well." Harry read aloud, handing the note over to Hope, who glanced at the writing in confusion.