Behind the masks: part 2

Source: https://sailormoontheories.wordpress.com/
———————-
Why does Sailor Uranus wear a mask during her first reveal, but never again?

I missed a couple of mask references in my previous post: Behind the masks of Sailor Moon So here are a few that are also worth mentioning!

Well, obviously Sailor Uranus' mask and cape here are supposed to resemble Tuxedo Mask. But why would she chose to don these accessories, and why for only once and never again?

My belief is that she was not ready to reveal her gender, even as a senshi. Haruka was still "masquerading" (see what I did there?) as a male student and was not ready to have her cover blown – just yet. So it may make sense to keep her senshi identity a bit ambiguous as well, in case the others started to make the connection that the two new senshi were also the two "suspicious" students. I think it was just an extra means to keep their cover.

But why a mask and cape? They probably got the idea from watching the Sailor Team, and took note from Tuxedo Mask. Uranus probably used these, as they were fairly easy to combine with the sailor fuku. You also can't quite tell that she's wearing a fuku at all, unless you watch Crystal, where it's pretty obvious.

 You also can't quite tell that she's wearing a fuku at all, unless you watch Crystal, where it's pretty obvious

Another mask I failed to mention was Phantom Ace from Codename: Sailor V

There's not really much that needs to be covered here, as Phantom Ace was part of a character and his identity was already known as the idol, Ace Saijyo.

Or... Adonis.

But again, Ace didn't need the mask outside of his television character. It is interesting to note that his character does wear one, however, as he does resemble Tuxedo Mask somewhat. But I think that he was supposed to be the male equivalent to Sailor V. Perhaps he was so enamored with her that he based his character off of her.

Ace is definitely a mysterious character, and one of my favorites, so I may go into more detail about him at another time.