Chosen One

The sound of heavy rain woke the short-haired girl up. She opened her eyes lazily to look at the clock. It’s 3 in the morning. She closed her eyes again and snuggled up to her blanket. But she couldn’t fall back asleep. A groan in annoyance slipped out of her mouth. She raised her hand to pick a phone and earphone on the nightstand. Once she was able to get is, she wore it quickly and pulled the cover up to her head.

The songs played just as how they were sorted alphabetically. An intro of a song played. Another groan left her mouth. “Why did it have to be this one?” she whispered towards herself. She skipped that song. Sleep just wouldn’t come to pick her. She spent the last 3 hours listening to music.

The clock finally showed 5.30.  The girl threw her blanket open. She stepped out of her bed. She made her bed before walked to the bathroom. A quick shower finished. She wore her school’s uniform. She snatched her bag from her desk. A katana that kept tidily in its case couldn’t be left by her. She walked out of her room, climbed down some stairs. A note and cold breakfast served for her. She took the note.

Skylar, I’m really sorry. I have to leave early in the morning. I’m going to a business trip, so I won’t be at home for a few days. I was about to tell you yesterday at night, but you were already asleep. I’ve cooked some breakfast for you today, though it would be cold by the time you wake up. I also left some money for you to buy some food and anything you need when I’m gone. Don’t worry, I’ll buy you some souvenir. Take care.

Mum

This wasn’t the first time Skylar woke up to a note and a cold breakfast. Her parents barely at home. They left early in the morning and come back home in the middle of the night. They stay at home only for 4 or 5 hours before leaving for work again. Though she didn’t live alone, she felt like living alone. She had to take care of everything by herself. It wasn’t like she’s being clingy or what. She was just missing other’s presence at the house.

Skylar left the house. She usually leaves to school by walking. Her school is not that far.

She arrived at school 7 minutes later. The school was still quiet, not many kids arrived there. Skylar went straight to the club room of Japanese club or otaku club. She’s a member of the club so she could easily step in.

“Sky! Ohayou!” A voice greeted her at the time she opened the club room’s door.

Ohayou,” Skylar replied shortly.

Four kids already inside. Two girls and two guys. They’re Skylar’s friends. The girls are Ama Koritsi, she’s like the mother of them all, and Kyria Ingenious, just like her name ‘ingenious’-  she can do many things. The guys are Dyn Strazce, Skylar’s friend from junior high school- the kuudere guy, and Forctis Valiente, the talkative one.

“Hey, look what I got,” Skylar said after she put her school bag down. She took her katana case and pulled the thing out of it. A blue katana now in her hands.

“Oh, my God! Is that Grimmjow’s katana?” Kyria asked, clearly surprised.

Skylar nodded as a reply with a smile.

“Dude, how did you get it?” Forctis asked as he took the katana from his friend’s hands.

“I won a giveaway event,” Skylar replied.

“How lucky!” Kyria clapped her hands.

Forctis pulled the katana and held it up. His eyes gleaming as he stared at the silver long blade.

“Is that a real sword? Or is it just a duplicate?” Ama asked.

“Just touch the blade and you’ll know.”