08 - Blood

08 - BLOOD

(Chapter 8)

➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵

Ray rushed into the medical bay and laid Eliza down on one of the two chairs. She was extremely weak from the loss of blood and barely hanging onto to consciousness. Ray pulled off his helmet and strapped the iv to her arm as he spoke, "Gideon, cauterize her wound and sedate her."

"On it, Mr. Palmer." The computer replied. Eliza's body relaxed as the sedation drug took effect. He didn't know why he was so worried about this woman. He, and the other Legends, barely knew her. However, he felt some sort of connection to the brunette laying in critical condition.

"What's her condition, Gideon?" Ray asked breathlessly.

"Near critical. I'm doing everything I can." Gideon replied. Ray swallowed stiffly as he turned to watch Eliza's stats. Her pulse was slow and her face was anemic, but she was alive for the most part.

"Ray, we're calling a meeting in the library." Sara's voice came as the electronic door slid open. Ray sighed and turned around.

"She pushed me out of the way. I should have been the one to get hit." Ray admitted picking up his helmet from where he dropped it. Sara glanced at him with a soft smile.

"It's alright, Ray. She's alive- You're alive." She comforted.

"But the martian is still out there! And he'll keep coming back until she's dead."

Sara stole a look at the petite woman, "She's safe here, Ray. Come on." Ray took in a breath and let it out slowly before nodding.

Numbly, Ray followed Sara toward the library. He felt guilty for letting Eliza take the hit; he wasn't expecting her the push out of the way like that. But how did she? He was twice the size of her and he was wearing his exosuit. Could that white martian have been right about Eliza having alien blood running through her veins? He shook his head, not wanting to think about it.

They entered the library to find most of the other legends sitting around the room. They all looked to Ray expectantly, but Sara was the one to speak.

"She's alright, for now. Gideon's taking care of her. What did you want to tell us, Rip?"

Rip stood from his seat. "Gideon, pull up Ms. Thompson's death report."

"Yes, Rip," The computer replied as the library screen came to life. The obituary for Eliza was pulled onto the screen.

"As you can see, Ms. Thompson still dies, but her death has been prolonged for nearly a week." Rip turned back to the Legends with his arm raised from pointing at the screen, "And, I will probably regret saying this, but, Mr. Palmer, Elizabeth Thompson saved your life-" Ray shifted his weight uncomfortably- "If she had not pushed you out of the way, you would have died."

"Did you know about this?" Martin asked pointing at the screen.

Rip lowered his arm, "Not exactly."

"So you did know!" Sara growled defensively.

"Yes and no." Rip replied. "But this isn't why I called you here."

"Then get on with it-" The blonde scowled at the British man- "Before I kick your ass."

Rip swallowed as he turned back to the screen, "This is the only timeline where Elizabeth Thompson has alien blood running through her veins. However, her brother and sister do not."

"Which means what, exactly?"

"Elizabeth Thompson is half martian," Rip replied, "The first of her kind and most likely not the last. The white martian was going after because-"

"It was against their law?" Rip finished for him.

"Ye- yes. How-?" Ray stuttered.

"The martian said something about her even existing is against their law. Does this mean she has metahuman-like powers?"

"Not exactly, but there is a fifty percent chance, maybe more. And since she came in contact with the martian, there is a possibility that they, her powers, could activate." Martin jumped in, "It's fascinating, really."

"Thanks, Marty." Ray nodded nervously before turning to Jax as he spoke.

"Since when are you a martian expert, Grey?"

"After talking with Barry about the interdimensional travel that he did, he revealed to me, somewhat, about the martians that had come to that earth. It was Earth-38, I believe."

"So is there anything else we should know?" Sara asked, crossing her arms.

"Well, there are two different martians: white and green. The white lived under Mars' surface while the green lived on the surface-"

"Grey, we're not really here for a history lesson- What powers do they have?" Jax interrupted causing Martin to give him a look.

"Um... Well, both the white and green martians have super strength, telepathic abilities, and-"

"Camouflage," Sara interjected.

"I was going to say shapeshifting, but, yes. That is true as well." Martin continued.

"So short stuff is an alien," Mick spoke, entering and taking a swig.

"Martian," Martin corrected. Mick only shrugged and took another sip of his beer.

"So, Elizabeth could either have white or green martian blood," Amaya concluded.

"Precisely."

"How do we know which blood type she has?" Sara asked looking to Rip.

"I don't know, but based on the white martian's hostility..." The Brit cut off wearily. The Legends fell into silence as the answer loomed over their heads.

➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵

Ray stood by Elizabeth's bedside and watched her vitals. Gideon had stabilized her but she had lost a lot of blood. Her body still had to recuperate and by doing so, her body had automatically fallen into a comatose state. Ray couldn't help feeling guilty. He had been there to protect her and she ended up protecting- saving him. The others had told him not to worry but how could he not? He owed her his life and even felt compelled to protect her all the more. Behind him, the med bay's door slid open, but Ray didn't seem to notice as he continued to study the petite woman's vitals.

"Ray," Amaya's voice startled him, "She'll be alright."

Ray turned around, "Yeah. But I can't help it..."

"Help what, Ray?"

"I don't know. I get this urge to shield her every time I'm around her."

Amaya smiled softly, "Ray, I think you like her."

Ray glanced at the woman unsurely, "I- I- I don't think that's it. Every time I'm in a relationship, it just crumbles."

Amaya stepped up beside the man, "Maybe she's the right one this time. You'll never know until you try." Ray remained silent as Amaya patted his shoulder. Was he afraid of loving someone again? It did seem somewhat plausible. But surely, that couldn't be it. He didn't like her like that did he?