Chapter 1 : School situation

Chapter 1

Days later...

Nick POV

I had a week before I went back to Dalton. Today was Jeff's first day of public school. My parents didn't have enough money to send him to Dalton. I said I would get a job to try to help earn money so he could go to Dalton with me. But for now, he was in public school.

He seemed super nervous this morning before school. I know he's scared of getting bullied, but I'm sure he'll be fine.

I was downstairs in the kitchen right now with mom. Jeff was supposed to come home from school any minute now. 

"Do you think he had an ok day?" I asked mom.

"Probably. Lots of kids go to public school."

"Yeah, and so did I until I got bullied by that one guy..."

"I'm sure he'll be fine, Nicky."

All of a sudden, I heard the front door open. It was Jeff.

"How was school?" Mom asked.

He didn't answer and went straight upstairs.

"That's not a good sign," I said, sighing.

"I'll go check on him."

"No, I'll go."

I went upstairs. When I got to our room, Jeff was crying.

"Hey, what happened?" I asked.

"I have so much work to do! I'll never be able to get it all done! And I'll get bad grades! There's no way I can do this all tonight!"

I pulled him into a hug.

"It's ok, Jeff. I'm sure your teachers don't expect you to get all of it done by tomorrow. I'll try to help you with some of it, ok?"

"Ok..."

"How was school?"

"It's hard to find my classes... And everybody was staring at me... And it was super hard to find a seat on the bus... I don't like it..."

"I know, but when I go back to Dalton, I'm going to try to get a job and save up so you can come to Dalton with me. Ok?"

"Really?"

"Yeah. And I'll come visit on weekends."

"Ok..."

He pulled away from me and flopped down on his bed.

"Tired?" I asked.

"Yeah... I'm not used to waking up so early."

"You'll get used to it after a few days. And then it'll feel normal and you won't be so tired."

"I really don't like the bus."

"I can ask my mom if she can drive you and pick you up."

"Do you think she will?"

"Yeah."

"Ok. Thanks. The bus was so stressful today."

"Why?"

"I don't know anybody! And there's like no empty seats!"

"Ok, I'll talk to my mom. She'll drive you, ok?"

"Ok."

Later...

Jeff POV

"You should probably head to bed soon," Nick said, looking over at me.