Chapter 2 : First visit home

Chapter 2

A few days later...

Nick POV

I was currently in the car with mom, headed home for the weekend.

"So how's Dalton?" Mom asked.

"Good. It's nice to be back. But I do miss Jeff a lot."

"He misses you a lot too."

"Really?"

"He's barely eaten since you left. And he sleeps in your bed."

"Aw... I didn't know being away from him was going to affect him this much..."

"He just needs to get used to it. Have you gotten a job?"

"Yeah, I applied for one at the Lima Bean. I haven't started yet because I still need to talk to someone about what days and times I can work, but I got the job."

"That's great."

"I'm going to try to do some odd jobs at home too to earn money. I really want Jeff to go to Dalton with me."

"He really wants to go there with you too. When we get home, just make sure he's ok. I'm a bit concerned about him."

"Have you been driving him to and from school?"

"Yes, except I couldn't pick him up today because I had to pick you up."

"Does school seem to be going ok for him?"

"I'm not sure."

"Ok... Well I'll talk to him and find out what's going on."

Jeff POV

I was petrified to take the bus home, so I walked instead. School wasn't very far, so I found my way home easily. But it was snowing out a little, and by the time I got home, I was freezing!

I immediately curled up in Nick's bed, wondering when he'd get home.

I was so cold that I pulled the covers all the way over my head. I was shivering so bad.

After a little while, I warmed up a little, but I still kept the covers over me. And I fell asleep.

Later...

Nick POV

When we got home, I went straight to my bedroom, expecting Jeff to be there. I didn't see him at first, but then I saw a lump under the covers in my bed.

I walked over and slowly pulled the covers off. Jeff was fast asleep.

"Jeff."

I started shaking him gently. His eyes snapped open and he threw his arms around me.

"Nick!"

I hugged him back.

"I missed you!" He said, clinging onto me even tighter.

"Aw, I missed you too."

I sat down on my bed and let Jeff tackle me in a hug. He ended up on top of me, still holding onto me super tight.

"I missed you so much..." He said, laying his head on my chest.

"I got a job so I can start saving up for you to come to Dalton."

"Yay!"

"How has school been?"

"Um... Not really good..."

"Why not?"

"I just don't understand anything! Especially math! Every night when I get home from school, I sit in the kitchen with your dad and he tries to teach me the homework for hours. And then I go to school, and I think I understand it, but I don't. And then we have quizzes and I get bad grades and I get made fun of at lunch, so I just eat lunch in the bathroom now..."