Chapter 3 : Snow

Chapter 3

Later...

Nick POV   

Jeff woke up and we decided to head upstairs because he was still super tired.

We both got changed into our pjs and then got into our own beds.

"My mom said you weren't sleeping well."

"I'm not."

"Well why?"

"I don't know... Just nervous, I guess."

"About what?"

"School. And it's just so quiet and lonely in here without you."

"Aw... Ok maybe you'll get less nervous as you get used to it."

"I hope so..."

"Is there a reason you've been sleeping in my bed?"

"Um... I don't know, I just miss you and I feel better there. I'm sorry..."

"No, it's ok. You can sleep in my bed if it makes you feel better. I was just curious."

Jeff laid down, facing me from across the room.

"What are we doing tomorrow?" Jeff asked.

"I don't know. We can do whatever you want to."

"Ok."

He yawned and pulled the covers up to his chin.

"Night, Jeff."

"Goodnight."

I shut off the lamp between our beds and got settled. Jeff still had the nightlight on in our room. I hope he gets a good night's sleep.

The next day...

Jeff POV

When I woke up, Nick was gone. I looked out the window and saw tons of snow!

I got up and went downstairs to find Nick. But I couldn't find him.

"Where's Nick?" I asked Mrs.Duval.

"He's shoveling driveways to earn money for you to go to Dalton. He got up extra early to do it."

"Oh..."

I sat down at the kitchen table.

"Do you want some breakfast?" Mrs.Duval asked.

"Um... Ok."

I haven't eaten much all week. I think maybe my appetite is coming back a little bit though.

Mrs.Duval made me some eggs and toast. And I was actually hungrier than I thought.

After breakfast, I went to the living room to look out the window. There was tons of snow. But I couldn't see Nick.

"When is Nick coming back?" I asked.

"I don't know. He might be out there for a few hours."

"Where is he?"

"He's just down the street. He's going door to door, asking if he can shovel driveways for money. Maybe you want to go help him."

"Ok!"

I ran upstairs to go get dressed. I've been borrowing a lot of Nick's clothes. He left a lot here because he wears a uniform at Dalton.

I put on a sweatshirt and sweatpants because I'm always cold. I put on snow boots that Mrs.Duval had bought for me and a coat that she bought for me also.

"Do you know which way he went?" I asked Mrs.Duval.

"No. He's somewhere on our road though. I'm sure he won't be hard to find."

"Ok."

I went out the door. There was a shovel next to the door, so I took it, and went to go find Nick.

I actually saw him shoveling a driveway down the road, so I knew where to go.

"Nick! I'm here to help!" I said, starting to run.

"Jeff, careful! There's ice!"

It was too late, and I slipped. The shovel went flying, and so did I. I fell flat on my butt.

"Ow!"

Nick came over and helped me up.

"Are you ok?"

"I think so. That kind of hurt..."

"I'm sure it'll feel better in a little while."

"I'm here to help you shovel so we can make money!"

"Ok, awesome!"

"I'm really good at shoveling. My old parents made me do it all the time."

Later...

Nick POV

We shoveled so many driveways, but we made a good amount of money.

When we were finally done, Jeff was really cold because the bottom of his pants were soaked. I was wearing snow pants, but he was just wearing sweatpants, and the bottoms got wet from the snow.

So when we got back home, he was shivering a lot.

I took him upstairs and gave him a warm change of my clothes. And then I made him some hot chocolate.

"I-I'm c-cold!" Jeff said, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

"I made you some hot chocolate."

"Ooh..."

Jeff picked up the mug and sipped his hot chocolate.

"S-still c-cold."

I put my hands on his shoulders and started rubbing my hands up and down his arms, trying to warm him up.

"Let's go sit on the couch," I said, taking his arm.

I brought him over to the couch. We sat down beside each other and I spread a blanket over both of us. Jeff laid his head on my shoulder.

"Can we relax now?" He asked.

"Yes. Thanks for helping me shovel snow. I'd still be out there right now if you didn't help."

Later...

Jeff POV

Nick and I were pretty tired from shoveling snow earlier. Nick's mom said we should go to bed early because she didn't want us getting a cold.

So Nick and I were both in his bed, watching a movie on his laptop with the sound super low so we wouldn't get caught. We didn't want to go to bed yet.

"What are we doing tomorrow?" I asked.

"Anything you want. But I have to go back to Dalton after dinner."

"I know..."

"But don't worry. We earned a lot from shoveling snow today, and I'll be working at a coffee shop so I can earn more. You'll be with me at Dalton before you know it."

"I hope it feels quick..."

I turned my head into Nick's shoulder.

"You ok?" Nick asked.

"I just want to stay with you," I said, quietly.

He put his arm around me. And I ended up falling asleep beside him.