ONE

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." -Mark Twain

═══════════════════════════

                    THROUGHOUT THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEKEND, Alethea and Spencer had been discussing the topic of human behavior, primarily focused on one's behavior when lying. Spencer had always been one who enjoyed continually learning, especially when it could help him with his job at the BAU.

Unfortunately, his weekend off had come to an end as Monday rolled around. That, however, didn't stop the two from seeing each other before beginning the busy schedule that lies ahead of them.

Spencer opened the door and walked into the coffee shop, instantly greeted by the aroma of coffee beans and the sounds of slight chatter. It was seven in the morning, and there was already a line for those who wanted a cup of coffee before their trip to work.

Scanning the room, he saw a familiar brunette sitting in their usual booth in the corner with two cups of coffee. As he neared the young doctor, he realized she had decided to wear her bangs down, instantly reminding him of his first love. He paused for just a moment before continuing his pace. Spencer slid into the seat in front of Alethea, greeting her with a smile.

"You ordered for me."

She gleamed at Spencer as she put her cup down. "Ah, yes, I did. The line was forming behind me, so I thought I'd save you the wait."

"Thanks," he chuckled, taking a sip. He was stunned that Alethea put the perfect amount of sugar into his cup.

Alethea saw the pleasantly surprised expression through the raising of his eyebrows and the subtle tugging of his lips in an upward movement. To her, all of these manners occur in slow motion, making it difficult for her to ignore.

Before Spencer could catch on, she finally spoke. "And yes, I did remember how you liked your coffee."

"Very observant," Spencer praised. "I have been practicing those techniques you've taught me the past couple of days."

Alethea boosted an eyebrow, intrigued. "Oh? How's it going for you?"

"Not as easy as I thought, but I'll get better in time."

"You know," Alethea began, "I could tell if people were lying at a young age, but with many years of practice and studying, it becomes, like, a sixth sense."

"I've never asked before, but is all of your work focused primarily on jury selections," Spencer inquired as he took another gulp of his coffee.