THREE

"People do misinterpret events, especially the meaning of other people's actions and the motives that lead people to act one way or another

"People do misinterpret events, especially the meaning of other people's actions and the motives that lead people to act one way or another."
                    — Paul Ekman

═══════════════════════════

ALETHEA PEERED OVER HER SHOULDER AS the elevator dinged. Out came Dr. Spencer Reid, who immediately met the eyes of Alethea. It seemed as though he was about to approach her until Hotchner grabbed his attention. This very subtle interaction caught the awareness of Tara.

"So," Tara began, setting down the papers she was analyzing earlier. "How do you know Dr. Spencer Reid?"

Alethea's eyebrows perked at the sound of the doctor's name, surprised her actions were that noticeable. Clearing her throat, she answered. "He attended my seminar last weekend. We started talking about behavioral analysis, microexpressions, and the dead giveaways to a lie."

Before Tara could further investigate, Hotchner walked towards the desks that sat in.

"Tara, I need you to go with Rossi to question the man who changed his mind on riding the bus," Hotchner instructed before looking at Alethea. "Alethea, go ahead and tag along just to see if you can catch anything that indicates he has something to do with this.

Alethea and Tara nodded before they got ready to leave. As they made their way to the elevator, Spencer stopped Alethea in her tracks.

"Where you off to," Spencer questioned, straightening his posture in his seat.

"Oh, We're going to question the guy who changed his mind about the bus," Alethea answered, pointing towards Rossi and Tara. "They want me to tag along to see if I can catch anything."

Spencer pressed his lips tightly together before nodding. "Oh okay. Well, I'll let you go. I can see they're waiting for you."

Following the young doctor's gaze, Alethea sees Tara and Rossi waiting for her over by the elevator. Rossi's eyebrows were slightly raised as his lips tug upward, failing to hide an amused smirk. Tara, on the other hand, immediately looked away, knowing that Alethea would be able to read her like a book. Chuckling, she parted ways from Spencer and followed the two to the car.

During the first half of their journey, it was silent in the car. The tension was building, making Alethea uncomfortable with the silence that resided within the car. After witnessing Tara and Rossi trade glances with each other for the nth time, she decided that she has had enough.

"You guys do know I'm able to read your facial expressions, right," Alethea asked, hoping they didn't forget what she did for a living. "If you have questions, you might as well just ask instead of failing to hide them from me."

Rossi chuckled, immediately entertained by the girl's banter. "What's going on between you and boy genius? Because it definitely can't be just that you two met at a seminar."