c h a p t e r . t h i r t e e n

"Let go of me!" I screamed, writhing against one of the Builders, who held my arms behind my back. I had been sitting in the Homestead: me, Thomas, Teresa, Chuck - when Gally and four cronies burst in.

Two grabbed Thomas immediately, before he had the chance to react. When I rushed towards him, another grabbed me as well.

"What the hell are you doing?" Chuck shouted.

"I'm in control now," Gally seethed. "And as I've told everyone else, you got a choice. You either join me, or you get banished at sundown along with the newbie, Thomas."

"You're ridiculous," I spat, still struggling against the boy restraining me.

"What are you doing?" Gally said to the last Builder. "Get her too." He jabbed a finger in Teresa's direction, as she started to back away from him. The last Glader lunged for her, grabbing her arms like they'd done to me. "Take them to the Slammer."

"Gally, you can't just do that," Chuck challenged. Gally took a step towards him.

"You wanna join 'em, Slopper?" The Builders started to make their way out of the Homestead. They were strong, much stronger than me, of course, and no amount of wriggling and digging my feet into the floor put them off even slightly. Eventually they reached the Slammer and threw me in, alongside Thomas and Teresa.

I spun around and lunged for the bars on the door, but they'd got it shut already. "You're kidding me!" I shouted, frustrated as I yanked against the door.

After several minutes of yelling and angry pacing, Newt and Minho appeared at the door alongside Chuck.

"You guys okay?" Newt asked.

"What just happened?" Thomas said. I relented; I instead sat on the floor of the small cell, silent and fuming. "How has everyone else agreed to this? Why is Gally in charge now?"

"Gally has everyone convinced you're the reason all this has happened," Minho said.

Eventually, Thomas nodded defeatedly. "Well, he's been right so far."

"What are you talking about?"

"I told you before. This place, it's a test. I remember being there, at the lab, all of us. And they would set us challenges, they were experimenting on us. But, then... people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clockwork."

"Sent them up into the Maze," Newt finished.

"Yeah. But not all of us."

"What do you mean?"

"Guys, I'm one of them. The people who put you here - I worked with them. I- I watched you guys for years. The entire time you've been here, I... I was on the other side of it." He looked at Teresa. "So were you."

"And... so was I," I added, finally sitting forward. Thomas turned his attention to me, and nodded.

"We did this to them," he said, his gaze boring a hole into me. I glanced over at Teresa, sporting the same troubled expression as she met my eyes.

"No," Teresa said, starting to shake her head. I saw tears glistening in her eyes. "That can't be true."

"It is," Thomas insisted. "I saw it, and Anna, I know you did too." I felt all eyes on me as I started to nod.