Baffling Murders

POV: Watson

Blinding noon light greets me when I wake up on the bed the next morning, accompanied by a pounding headache. Propping myself up with my elbows, I twist my head to look at the time.

Noticing the aspirins on the table, I pop them in with a swish of water. I smile slightly, Mrs. Hudson is such an angel for laying that out. 

I don't remember what happened yesterday, only that I had gotten drunk. I groan internally, knowing that was the cause for my massive hangover. Grimacing, I remember why I drank so much in the first place. I roll off the bed immediately, I need a distraction so that I don't start crying again. Where's Sherlock? Probably dissecting a brain in the kitchen.

I go to the bathroom and change into my normal clothes. I feel physically horrible from yesterday, but I am happier now since I don't feel so alone. My eyes look tired even though I've slept for a long time, and my face is still a bit puffy.

After making myself look somewhat acceptable, I go downstairs to find a distraction to stop myself from over-thinking like I did yesterday. I sniff the air and am pleasantly surprised that there's no disgusting smell from some experiment wafting through the flat.

I frown slightly when I don't see Sherlock. The eerie silence of the flat is disturbing, and it makes me feel lonely again. Where did he go? Probably to Scotland Yard to look at a case. Frowning further, I tell myself that it shouldn't be a surprise. I knew that he couldn't stay still for longer than a day.

"Brunch at Angelos?" A voice says behind me, making me jump.

"Okay," I respond, surprised that he stayed today. It's very unlike him.

I turn my head, to find that he's already fully dressed. He must have woken up a long time ago.

"Grab your coat and let's go."

We rush out of the apartment, hailing a cab. A small smile played on my lips, as I remember the countless cabs that we had taken to fascinating cases.

"Why are you smiling?" He asks inquisitively, studying my face.

"Oh nothing, it's just... I guess nostalgia."

He nods before resuming his thinking position. My smile falters slightly at his gesture; I want someone to talk to. I drum my fingers on the seat of the cab, a little disappointed that the comfort and care from Sherlock didn't carry from yesterday. Stop it, I tell myself, he's Sherlock. 

We jump out of the cab in uncomfortable silence, and we stepped into the restaurant. Immediately we were ambushed with a big hug from the host.

"Sherlock! John! It's been too long! How's the wife?" He shouts at us with a huge grin on his face. 

Before I had to awkwardly explain the situation to him, Sherlock thankfully cut in.

"Angelo, no time for pointless little greetings. John is absolutely starving. Please give us a table immediately." He says swiftly while brushing past the cheery man

After we order our food, another silence fell over us, just as it did in the cab. Eventually, I break it, asking him if he had any new cases.

"Yes, several actually. Solved them all without leaving the flat."

"Any difficult ones?"

He replies quickly without the slightest thought, "Nope."

I let out a soft chuckle, the same old arrogant Sherlock.

He hears me and cocks his head to look at me strangely. He examines me for a few minutes before the food finally arrives. I ordered lasagna, while Sherlock only got a small appetizer that shouldn't satisfy a toddler.