Chapter 001: The Boy in the Rain

── THE WORLD IS TOO CRUEL, FOR YOU TOO BE SO PURE. ──

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Rain fell so heavily that it became a thick, grey mist which covered the vast skyline and forest as light steps were heard ascending the twisting mountain path and the tapping of the water against a folding umbrella.

"More rain, hm..." An annoyed sigh commented with a thin, delicate hand reaching out from under the umbrella to feel the droplets on her hand.

The figure was dressed in all white, as if she were in perpetual mourning, from her layered robes to her white jade earrings that chimed pleasantly as she moved. What was even more odd about her appearance was a white ribbon that covered her eyes and was tied at the back of her head.

Though covering her eyes lead people to believe her to be blind, she was actually nothing of the sort and could see quite fine through the light ribbon's fabric. 

The mountain path was completely silent aside from the sound of rain hitting the grassy ground and the faint chimes from the girl as she headed up the dirt road, causing a rather peaceful scene which she enjoyed briefly before noticing something.

"Hm?"

The girl stopped from heading up the path as she noticed a small child in tattered clothing standing uncovered in the rain, completely drenched and shivering, though he stayed his place.

"Hello there, boy." She spoke pleasantly enough, her voice soft and in perfect match with her earrings' chimes. "Are you waiting for someone?"

Though the girl was normally a cold person, not willing to bother wasting her time on people of no concern to her, she had a soft spot for children that turned her sharp attitude gentle.

A deep frown came upon the child's features before he turned his head away from her. "I don't know you," he spat. "Why should I tell you?"

This made the girl laugh amusedly, covering her mouth with the white sleeve of her arm, not bothered in the least by his sharp tongue, that was honestly cute in comparison to her own.

"I was only worried." She explained. "The country has become a very chaotic place these days, so it's hardly safe to be out on your own."

"Aren't you alone?" The boy countered.

"Hm? Am I?" She returned in question before covering and bringing him under her wide umbrella by standing next to him. "Perhaps you should go home for now?"

"I...I can't go back!" The boy's eyes filled with desperation, making quite the pitiable picture in his soaked appearance and eyes starting to overflow with tears.

Creasing her brows at that, the girl looked down at the child sternly. "Haven't you heard the saying? Those who don't return home to their loved ones─ will die."

The sound of rain increased in its heaviness as the two stood under the protection that the umbrella provided, water sliding off the edges and making little falling rivers.

"What if I don't have anyone who loves me?" Came an incredibly quiet reply. "Even though he said I could stay by his side forever..."

────

"Bai Zhen." The Head Maid instructed severely. "You must serve our young lord well and without mistake, alright?"

She ushered the small boy into a large, well-lit room where a boy similar in age to him, though wearing rich clothes while he wore a servant's attire, sat on a window ledge, reading a thick bound book.