Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 13: Finale Decisione

"She said yes! She said yes!" Lilo jumped, and knocked the air out of my lungs by her hug. "Finally!" With hands on her waist, she ordered the others. "What are you waiting for? It's time." Then she ran towards the house.

Aside from Q, Inno and Pete, the rest had a lukewarm reaction and dragged their steps lining up.

"Man, I hate this part," mumbled Jah.

Bino set himself at the center. "Hey Zak, do we have to do that?"

"We must continue the tradition, old man." Pink teased.

Greco high-fived with his brother. "You're just scared because you're in the middle."

"Shut up or I'll cut you all." The cutter which usually occupied Kut's hand, was now neatly tucked in his pocket as he neatly combed his hair to the back with his hands. "Let's get this over with."

When Lilo returned, she handed me a small black gun. I was more confused.

"This is a needle gun. Obviously, because it shoots needles, with poison."

"Why are you giving it to me?"

I gentle hands held my shoulders. "Take one down." It was Zak, already down from the treehouse, now whispering in my ear. "Shoot anyone you like."

I gaped at him. "B-But why?" It was almost a whisper.

"When one comes in, then one has to go," Lilo explained excitedly.

"No." If I only knew this will happen, I should've declined.

Before I could take a step and run, Zak's gripped me tighter. "You already said yes, Hanna. Now do it."

"Too bad... you can only shoot one. If it's me, I'd shoot them all. Come on, do it. Do it!" Lilo even clapped, fidgeting where she stood.

As opposed to the tension, Jah even yawned. "Man, quick. I'm tired."

As for Alfon, he stood straightly and diligently pointed to himself. "Choose me, Miss Mamori."

"Shut up teacher, let her choose!"

"What if I don't want to?"

"Well, since you're special, you can shoot anyone here, including me or Zakie." Then she discreetly pointed at his brother behind me and mouthed 'Shoot him'.

I tried to run again but Zak was too strong. He eased my rigid hand to hold the gun in place. It was hard to ignore the fact that he was hugging me from behind, controlling my body and caging it at the same time. "Time for your first kill."

The hair on my nape raised from his breath on my nape like a demon whispering in my ear.

"Don't worry," Lilo assured. "The poison won't be lethal, if... you shoot a less vital part."

Was that supposed to help me feel better? Maybe this is indeed a tradition for they were all calm. Pete, Inno and Q were smiling even. Kut, Jah and Bino were bored to death. The Gringo brothers nudged each other and bickered. Alfon was the only one who claimed his spot with dignity. No one seemed to mind the judgment and cared if one has to go.

If Zak says we die smiling, so be it. This is the truth in Pete's words. Anything for the king.

"Now," Zak loosened his grip for my free reign on the gun.

I can't run, he won't let me. In trembling hands, I raised it.

"That's it, Hanna, good..." he coaxed. "Keep it steady and aim."

Lilo joined in too, muttering "Kill them, kill them..."

Finally, I aimed. As the center, Bino would be the target. Would it be okay if I shoot Pete? Maybe he won't mind. How about Inno? He's the one who suggested I become a Fortunello. Or maybe Alfon? He suggested himself earlier.

"Kill them... kill them."

"All you need to do is to pull the trigger," Zak coaxed. "How hard could it be?"

Shoot anywhere less vital, that's what I'm planning to do. But who?

They didn't even blink even if I pointed at them.

Who?

Since you're special, you can shoot anyone here.

Without thinking twice, I pointed the gun towards my palm.

...anyone...

I shot myself and winced at the sting of the needle.

Strong arms caught me when my legs lost strength. The spinning vision commenced and the burning pain spread from my palm to my arms until to my torso. Incomprehensible shouts rang, probably from me, or Lilo. "Idiot! You're supposed to shoot them!"

"The antidote!" Zak commanded at the same time darkness shrouded my vision.

My chest was on fire, and no matter how hard I try, no air entered to my lungs. I felt another sting somewhere, then nausea and blurring of my vision subsided along with the other symptoms. Then there were arguing voices.

"Well, I'm happy she's a member, but I didn't expect she would shoot herself! And there's always an antidote. It's not like you haven't done this before."

"She's different!"

Nobody said a word after Zak. I burrowed my face on his chest.

"It's just a test, Lilo. Why did you load it this time?" Pete finally spoke.

"Shut up, traitor. You didn't pass the test before, remember?"

He towered over her. "If you were there... I'd shoot you too, for real... you selfish brat." He was smiling, but there's so much malice in his voice. This time, nobody defended her.

"Why did you give her a loaded gun?" Zak asked, calmer.

"No reason! I was bored. I didn't... I didn't know she's that kind." Her voice trailed off, guilt written all over her face. "I never thought... she'll pass the test. After all, she's just a weakling. A coward... she's..."

"It's okay..." I weakly assured.

"I'm sorry." Lilo was on the verge on tears, clenching the hem of her skirt. "Really, Hanna. I'm sorry..." Then she wailed, repeating the same words.

Zak took me back to the main house to rest. Before I succumbed to sleep, he whispered. "That was brave, congratulations."

To make it up, Lilo had paid more attention to me. Well, she still threatens my life sometimes. Yet somehow, I know she didn't mean it. She even asks the things I like to do and didn't force me on putting a drop of suspicious liquid on the boys' juice or reading a new book I already knew was a tragedy.

My membership didn't change anything. I was still called 'mutie' and 'precious'. They teased me from time to time and Zak still acted like himself, distant and elusive. However, joining them didn't help ease the coming storm. In fact, it made it worse.

"I said I don't know. I tried to search and ask for it. I couldn't find the package." Qapone's messenger showed up again, this time, where I parked my bike.

"Try harder."

"I did, b-but they might notice. They're getting suspicious."

That's it, I need to lie more and protect the Fortunello. I am one of them now, the weakest, but I need to help in my own way.

"Well, that's too bad then." He grabbed my neck, slammed me to the wall. The attempt to break away went to waste, I was out of breath and my vision blurred. My feet dangled as I was raised against the wall. I guess this is better than betraying my friends.

Friends. I finally met some.

As I was about to lose and give up, he let me go. I fell on the ground, gasping for air.

"Too bad, I am just a messenger. If I'm not, you'd be dead. Well then, thank you for your service. I'll just have to find another way."

"What- what do you mean?"

"It's not like you're the only one. Your little shy boy, Inno, he may be strong, but he'll crack to pressure when he's alone. Or the sunny girl, Lilo. Ah, what a cute child she is, good with poison and smart. Or...we could just barge in there, murder them all and get the treasure after."

"You can't! They're stronger than you think! Nobody can beat them." That's right. I should trust their strength.

"Oh? How confident." He remarked and dialed on his phone.

"No good, signor," he said, after a greeting. He nodded twice and handed it to me.

[Hello.]

The owner of the gentle voice has filled my nightmares for years, even after sleep.

Gustavo Qapone.

The man shoved the phone near my ear before it could slip my grasp. [Does my little Miguel treat you well? He gets excited sometimes.]

Murderer. You... murderer. I couldn't find my courage to curse him, even my own voice was gone, and before I knew, I was sobbing.

[Are you crying, child? Ah, I guess he forced you too much.]

Die.

[Don't be afraid, I just wanted your help. Now, why don't you go home and take a rest? Think about it. My Miguelito will be waiting here tomorrow. Make sure your answer is what I expect it to be. I'm not a patient man.]

"Please Signor Gustavo... enough. Don't hurt them." Then I cried some more.

I am powerless. How will I fight a demon? 

[Hmm, if that's what you wish. If you tell me where the package is, I will not hurt your friends. Don't worry, I do not break my promises, Miss Mamori.]

Liar. I wanted to scream.

[Such a sweet voice. Goodbye, little flower.]

"Good m—hey Mutie, are you okay?" Bino leaned down to examine my face.

"Ah, yes."

"You look like shit? Have you seen a ghost?"

No. But I had talked to one yesterday. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You look sick to me." He felt my forehead. I slapped it away. "I said I'm fine. Just leave me alone!"

He was taken aback, so am I.

"S-Sorry."

His laughter bellowed across the school hall. Some students were even surprised, then walked faster away. "You're hiding a temper. Practice more and you can scare the shit out of us."
I didn't answer and walked away. He followed, whistling behind me.

"Bino?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you strong?"

"That's stupid you know, of course!" He raised his arms for a flex. "These muscles and skills are put to use now and then." But then, he settled them down on his sides, and in a humble tone added, "But there are others who are stronger. It's not like we're invincible, at least not yet. We'll get there someday. Why'd you ask?"

"Nothing. It's just that, compared to you guys, I'm weak."

"Stupid," and messed my hair. "You don't need to be strong. You just have to err... look clueless as always or whatever."

"But—" Can I protect them the way they protect me?

"When you shot yourself, instead of one of us, you proved your worth. We shot ourselves before too, well except Pete. The fucktard aimed at someone and fired. Good thing there were no bullets in every test. He was accepted by the old don, anyway."

"Because he's strong."

"Don't be dumb, Mutie. You're weak, so what? Even the weak have their own ways of fighting, you know. You can protect us in a way that you can."

Feeling so touched, I hugged him tight, not minding the surrounding or the people passing by. He had no perfume nor scent of aftershave. He just smelled as freshly ironed clothes.

"Wha—hey get off me!"

I didn't, and grinned at his red ears.

"Oh look!" said by a familiar voice, Pink approached with the rest. But I held on to my captive. "I never thought Hanna's aggressive," Greco added.

"Please do not be rash, Miss Mamori. There is a time and place for romantic endeavors."
Inno leaned closer and whispered. "Hanna... Did he... did he force you?"

"Don't get any ideas. She just went crazy and molested me!"

I shamelessly smiled to all of them, then the warm fuzzy feeling was lost quickly by Pete's question. "Hey boss, can the recruit molest us whenever she wants?"

That's when I noticed Zak behind them. The fever rose to my face and let Bino go.

"She can touch anyone if you let her." He said it with a straight face. Then some of them laughed.

I was lucky to be taken care of by these people. My new home.

'If you tell me where the package is, I will not hurt your friends.' Will the demon honor his promise?

In the middle of the happy mess, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. A decision was made.

'You can protect us in a way that only you can.'

Bino was right, I can...by betraying them.

***

Final Decision