twenty seven

(a/n: dedicated to FeliceThatAsian  for the lovely comment & votes <3<3 much love! now let's get into the chapter!!i published chapter 26 AND this chapter, so make sure you read it in the right order! <3<3 im leaving the goal below because i finish this chapter off on quite a tangent, which i apologize for in advance. 

(GOAL for this chapter: 50 votes, 30 comments <3)

twenty seven

I NEARLY PULLED A MUSCLE in my neck from how fast I spun on my heels, turning away from Xandra. I forced my head down, unwilling to meet her eyes. What in the fresh hell was she doing here?

"I assume you're confused, Charlotte-" continued Humpty, "- so I'll explain. We're a security company, intent on protecting civilians." 

You've said this already, dipshit. My patience was wearing thin, and my nerves were already frazzled as 'X' of all people, was here. She was the leader of her own criminal organisation, right? Surely that wasn't a job description for someone who protected civilians. Completely unaware of my emotional turmoil, Humpty continued droning on: 

"- at the moment, we're chasing after Tetra." He continued, "-she's escaped from a high-security prison-"

Obviously not high enough, I snickered. Humpty glared.

"- and is back in Dynamo. I know you've heard of who she is, as you've fought her before." 

"I would still be doing so if it weren't for your 'intervention'." It was with great effort I attempted making air quotation marks to accompany my statement, but the metal shackles were too heavy, so they remained limp in front of me.

"This is no ordinary 'intervention'-" As if mocking me, Humpty used the air quotation marks, "-you were about to mess up our plan. We couldn't afford a super not cooperating with us to fight this battle." 

Wait - a super not cooperating with them? The gears in my head turned, and I could only think of one: Vector. Inside my cuffs, my fists tightened to the point that I felt them become numb. He sold me out. The asshole sold me out. 

You can't know that, my subconscious started, you've no information whatsoever on which to base your conclusion. Only Humpty. 

"Ingrid Giek - Tetra - is a high class criminal. She caused hell in Dynamo and half of the continent before we imprisoned her, which is why we need to take all measures to make sure she ends back in there." 

"In the place from which she escaped?" I raised a brow, " - I'd assume you'd appreciate the help, considering she escaped your 'high-security' prison."

"Tetra is not like other villains, Charlotte. You're new to the game, and while I respect your efforts for the city, this is beyond your pay grade." Humpty tilted his head to the side, a condescending smile etched into his face, "- allow the professionals to handle this. You can remain on the sidelines for the time being." 

I craned my neck, looking pointedly at my brother. I was nearly 102% certain he had been an active advocate of detaining me, if his recent behavior was anything to go by. He'd been prepared to shoot me to keep me from going off on my own, and now he'd dragged me to his HQ, where his friends had shackled me and essentially forbid me from interfering.