All we see is light (And maybe lies)| Part 2

Some of this is from the actual show and book. A lot of it's from the actual show. I do not own the words that are in any way, all credit goes to the writers.

Mention of suicide.

Continued:

I turned to Evan, locking eyes with him. "Isn't that what you meant?" My parents glared at me.

"Loser, I was going to say, actually. But. Nerd works, too."

"Well, that wasn't very nice."

"Well, Connor wasn't very nice, so that makes sense," I mumbled. But they heard me.

"Connor was... he was a complicated person." I looked up.

"No, Connor was a bad person. There's a difference."

"Zoe, please." My dad said. I turned to him now.

"Don't pretend like you don't agree with me!" He knew, he knew the truth, why couldn't he see it?!

"You refuse to remember any of the good things. You refuse to see anything positive!" My mom was hysterical. But no giving up.

"Because there were no good things. What were the good things?!"

"I don't want to have this conversation in front of our guest!"

"What were the good things, Mom? Tell me." I couldn't stop. But seeing this was wrong and this wasn't who Connor was.

"There were good things!" There wasn't. There weren't any and it was hell.

"I remember a lot of good things about Connor!" Silence. Terrible, awful silence. No one said anything. Evan had spoken from the back, leaning into the back of the chair. I turned toward him.

"Like what?"

"Nevermind. I shouldn't have- I'm sorry, nevermind."

"No, no Evan. You were saying something." My mom held on.

"It doesn't matter. Really." Evan said.

"We want to hear what you have to say. Please." She needed this. She knew she needed this.

"Well, I was just- Connor and I... We had a really great time together, this one day, recently. That's something good that I remember about Connor. That's what I keep thinking about. That day." I saw his eyes drift to the bowl on the table. "At the apples, um... the apples... place..." He's kidding, right? No one could possibly... He paused, realizing how stupid it seemed. But the orchard. Maybe they sparked his memory... but- "Anyway. It's- I knew it was stupid. I don't know why I even brought it up."

"He took you to the orchard?" My mom asked her eyes filling up. I remembered the orchard. It was this little place where you could pick apples and have picnics and buy fruit and cider. I liked it there, I new Connor did too, but we hadn't been there since I was about 9 or 10.

"Yes. He did."

"When?"  My mom asked hopefully. This place was important. Maybe... maybe it was true. But maybe it wasn't.

"Once. It was only that once. But he said the apples there were the best."

"I thought that place closed. Years ago." My dad spoke.

"Exactly. Which was why we were so bummed when we got there because it was completely- it's totally closed down now." ...

"We used to go to the orchard all the time. We'd do picnics out there. Remember that, Zoe?"

I didn't look up. "Yeah. I do."

She turned to Dad. "You and Connor had that little toy plane you would fly. Until you flew it into the creek." A smile crept onto my dads and my lips. I hid mine.