The distance is too wide

Some of this is from the actual show.

Mention of Suicide. 

He looked up quickly, surprised and placed down a book he was examining. "I was just waiting for-"

"Don't your parents get upset that you're here all the time?" 

"Well, it's not like I am, I'm not here all the time..." Really?

"Just two nights in a row."

"Well. It's just my mom and she works most nights. Or she's in class." 

"Class for what?"

"Legal stuff."

"Where's your dad?" I crossed my arms, raising an eyebrow.

"My dad is um... he lives in Colorado." Uh-oh.  "He left when I was seven." Fuck, go back. "So. He doesn't really mind either." Well, I've been with him for... 15 seconds and already forced him to open up a probably painful memory. Great. He paused, causing my mind to overthink...everything. "Your parents... They're really great." I stared at him, confused.

"They can't stand each other. They fight all the time."

"Everyone's parents fight."

"My dad's, like, in total denial. He didn't even cry at the funeral." I stopped, realizing what I was talking about. There was another awkward moment of silence before he looked out the door, changing the subject.

"Your mom was saying, gluten-free lasagna for dinner. That sounds really..." He tried to form a compliment. You couldn't. Now with her lasagna. I smiled.

"Inedible?" He gave a short laugh. 

"Well, you're lucky your mom cooks. My mom and I just order pizza most nights." He said, avoiding my gaze. I sighed and leaned against the wall. It wasn't a sad sigh, just an amused one.

"You're lucky you're allowed to eat pizza." He looked up.

"You're not allowed to eat pizza?" I shrugged and walked around the room.

"We I can now, I guess. My mom was Buddhist last year so we weren't allowed to eat animal products."

"She was Buddhist last year but not this year?" 

"That's sort of what she does. She gets into different things. For a while it was Pilates, then it was "The Secret", then Buddhism. Now it's free-range, 'Omnivore's Dilemma'... whatever." I said, counting on my fingers.

"It's cool that she's interested in so much different stuff." I looked at him and smiled a bit.

"She's not. That's just what happens when you're rich and you don't have a job. You get crazy." I wiggled my fingers around my head.

"My mom always says it's better to be rich than poor."

I laughed. "Well, your mom's probably never been rich then."

"You've probably never been poor." He muttered. I looked up surprised. He realized what he said, eyes widening. "Oh my God! I can't believe I just said that. I'm so sorry. That was completely rude." I sputtered a laugh. A real laugh. For the first time in seemingly ever.

"Wow! I didn't realize you were actually capable of saying something that wasn't nice." He looked at me, seemingly surprised about my reaction.

"No, I'm not. I never say things are nice. I don't even think things like that. I'm just, I'm really sorry." I grinned and crossed my arms again.