Sweet Satisfaction - Forty-Four

AN: This chapter was inspired by the scene where Hayley and Roy dance in Blackpool in Coronation Street. Please listen to the song on the side when reading this chapter which I had on repeat whilst writing this.

Forty-Four

Bobby and I walked further down the pier. We leant against the railings, fingers intertwined, just gazing into blue nothing-ness, the sun warm on our backs. I felt as though a sudden rush of adrenalin was towing us with all its strength, onto our own little stretch of the pier, into our own little world as I stared into his eyes.

The noises around me, even the pesky seagulls’ caws were washed out by this wind hammering into us. We were slowly moving forward into a piercing white yellow light, the spiky edges around it define-ingly sharp. My breath was being drawn out my lungs and my stomach was sucked in. My eyes were dilated with the sheer exhilaration coursing through my veins, making them prominently blue and my hair static. This was the best feeling ever; this was the feeling of falling in love.

As we stepped off the pier onto the flat concrete, I felt the extreme opposite of flat- I was bursting with excitement. Bobby bought us fish and chips. I loved how the chips’ plain taste was so addictively sweet and tangy, and the way the vinegar on them dried through the brown paper they were wrapped in, onto my hands.

I still had this breathless sensation full of butterflies going on in my stomach as if I were on a carousel, so I was feeling rather parched, and not too fond of the cod.

“Are you enjoying yourself so far?” I nodded eagerly. There was a spring in my step as we ambled round The Lanes, a twisty maze of cobbled streets and shops and the original settlement of Brighthelmstone. Our town was of course now just called Brighton. My heart was thumping with happiness.

“I’ve asked my friend for a little favour.” I stared at the building in front of me. The paintwork was chipped and as Bobby pulled the door open, I realised it was almost off its hinges. Tentatively, I took a few steps forward…

…and walked into another world. My jaw dropped down. The walls were decorated with a mural full of delicate spirals and swirls of every colour of the rainbow. The floorboards sparkled underneath a large chandelier and candelabra was perched atop a flawlessly black piano which was tucked away in a corner with a small, bespectacled bald man sitting at it, as if waiting for something.

Bobby walked to the centre of the room. A shower of goose pimples rained over me. The first steady beats of a slow, soft but powerful song echoed around the cavernous room.

“Will you dance with me?” I shook my head, shying away, watching Bobby’s face fall. Then, my lips broke into a grin, and I stepped into his arms.

Soon, I was enraptured by the music. There were no words to it, but there didn’t need to be any. The music on its own held such a strong meaning, every string pulled at a perfect arpeggio was a tug on my heart. I lost track of time as Bobby, perfect, handsome Bobby walked me in circles and twirled me slowly about. All the time, we were looking into each other’s eyes.

We leapt. We spun. We felt the crescendos mimic our hearts.  

We ended up just swaying to the music. His physical grip on me was firm, but soft. His emotional grip was far more intense, our lips so near each other. Something hurt so hard inside me, and I knew it must be love.

We must have been dancing for at least two hours, wrapped up in our own world. I never lost my balance, or my slow, seductive, elegant movements. I could feel my heart pounding; I felt exhausted, but I didn’t want the day to end.

The music was quieter, so bittersweet. My eyes were prickling, and I don’t know why. I shut them, and his felt his lips come upon mine, our arms wrapped around each other, lost in that perfect moment in time.

We walked back through streets flanked with blazing lampposts. We watched the sky turn to a dark, inky blue. Everything was silent. There was something unspoken between Bobby and I, the way his hand was holding mine, the way we looked at each other. We both wanted something more.

The pebbles ground under our feet, as loud and clear as the penetrating, round white moon. We reached the water’s edge. The sea was calm and peaceful, rolling across our feet as silently as Bobby’s kiss.

His arms pulled me closer in and then he was running his fingers through my hair, faster and faster, in mad desperation, clinging to me more tightly and hungrily than before. Something stirred inside me and I felt my whole skin turn to flames. My knees buckled.

We sunk onto the beach, taking in great gasps of air and then pressing our lips together, to create this electrifying feeling of the whole world being on fire. I heard the rip of my dress and felt Bobby’s stubbly chin against mine.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” he panted, and I nodded. I didn’t even think about the consequences. I lost my virginity there and then.

Afterwards, sandy and sticky, we ran into the sea, yelling and laughing, holding hands, and spinning in circles until we were dizzy and soaking wet.

“Bobby, I love you!” I screamed.

“I love you too!” He yelled, flinging me round once more, then drawing me closer to him, so I was pressed against his chest. We both caught our breath, and then I looked up, up into his eyes.

“Thank you, Bobby. This has been the most magical day of my life.”