Chapter 15

"Morning roomie," Jace strolled into the kitchen wearing his plaid pyjamas.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I huffed as he took a sip from my mug of coffee that was on the counter. "Jace you're only supposed to stay here once a week. Last night was your third night in a row."

"If you didn't want me here why did you give me a key?" He took a croissant from my cupboard.

I blinked at him a couple of times, "I didn't give you a key."

"Well, what's this then?" He picked up his keys off of the counter and showed me one.

"Oh my God did you have my key copied?" I half shouted at him.

"Course not. I slept with the new girl who works at the front desk to get this."

I gasped in disgust and stole the keys from him. I removed my apartment key and slipped it into my pocket. "You're vile."

"Oh come on Soph, I didn't really sleep with her."

"Sure..." 

"I swear," he put his hand across his chest. "She recognised us together when I said that I had to get something from your apartment- which was true by the way. I left my gym bag here a few weeks ago- and she told me to keep the key just in case."

"You know she could be fired for that and you could get banned from the building, right?" I told him.

"I took care of that," he shot me a wink and then bit his lip.

"Jace!" As I said before, vile. "I want you out today! You can't keep staying here, you have your own place."

"I just like the company," Jace shrugged and suddenly it hit me why he was really here so often. His girlfriend Rose left him for another guy she had been seeing while they were together and moved out of their shared apartment into his. He's mentioned once before that his apartment doesn't feel like home without her there and because I've been so wrapped up in my own problems I forgot to consider what he's going through.

"Did you see her again?" I asked him with a genuine, caring smile.

He nodded, "she's not with him anymore. She says he cheated on her and she wants nothing to do with him, and she also...you know what never mind, I should get going."

"Hold up, what were you going to say?"

"I can't tell you because then you'll give me advice that I need but don't want to hear."

"She said she wanted you back, didn't she?" I said.

"Yeah, and I know what you're going to say so please just don't."

I sighed, "if you know that I'm going to tell you, you're too good for her and she was a complete idiot to ever cheat on you with that guy then you also know deep down that I'm right."

"I know you're right Soph, that's what's so confusing," he put his head in his hands. "Just as I thought I was getting over her she appears back in my life and all the feelings resurface. I told her I'd think about it."

I walked over to him and gave him a hug, it was awkward because he refrained from hugging me back. Still, I persisted, "she was your first love, no matter how hard you try those feelings never go away but you've just got to know when to force them aside and live your life. So my advice is give her a call and be honest. Tell her how you felt when she left you for another man, but just don't fall into the trap."

"Trap?" He pulled away from me.

"Don't let her worm her way back into your life. The way she broke your heart can't be forgotten. She cheated on you, don't forget that."