Chapter 22

Sarah had another glass of wine and hung out with Danni while she waited for Mike. The players signed autographs and hammed it up in front of the camera with the fans. Eventually the crowd thinned, and the servers cleared the tables.

"What are they going to do with all the decorations?" Danni asked.

"Some of it will be donated," Sarah said. "But there's a good chance that this will become an annual event, so the fabric and anything with the Quakes logo will be used again."

"The night's been great for promoting the team and a huge success as a fundraiser, too."

Sarah watched Mike sign a mini hockey stick for a young boy. "The players have been really patient. They're a great group."

"Especially Mike?"

Sarah smiled. "Yeah, especially Mike."

"You sat at his table. That's a good sign. Did he have a change of heart?" Danni asked.

"We haven't really had a chance to talk." Sarah shrugged. "I guess I'll find out more tonight."

"I hope you work it out. You'd be good together." Danni hugged Sarah. "Looks like they're winding down. I'm going to go say bye to Ben and then head out. Let me know how it goes."

"Thanks, Danni. I will."

Mike walked over to join Sarah. "Okay, I think that's the last of it. Thanks for waiting. Let's go before they find something else for me to sign."

The temperature outside was well below freezing. Snow covered the ground, but the clouds had cleared and the night sky was glittering with stars. There were patches of ice on the country roads, but Mike's truck was sturdy and fast.

Mike ushered her inside and hung up her coat. "Come on in, and I'll light a fire."

Sarah followed him into the living room. Out the window, the moon was almost full, and it reflected off the ice. "Do you ever go skating on the river? Or do you get enough of that with the team?"

He crumpled up newspaper in the fireplace and set a log on top. "I go occasionally, but I have more time to be out on the water in the summer." He held a lighter to the paper, and the fire roared to life. He added another log and then stood. "Would you like something to drink?"

"No, I'm fine." She'd already had two glasses of wine and wanted a clear head.

Mike dimmed the lights and put on some slow music. The flames flickered, and warmth filled the room.

"Would you like to dance?" he asked. When Sarah nodded, he took her in his arms. "I've wanted to do this all evening," he murmured against her hair.

Sarah rested her cheek against his chest and listened to the steady, slow rhythm of his heart. Good thing he isn't listening to mine. His hand on the small of her back guided her around the room.

She cleared her throat and looked up at him. "You're very good at this."

He grinned. "One of my many talents."

Hockey. Law. Dancing. Cooking. Really, did you need anything else? An image of him naked and sweaty popped into her head. One of his best talents.

"Tonight was a lot of fun," she said. "You were great with the fans."

He grinned. "I'd rather be out on the ice, between the pipes, but I think they appreciated it. I like that the money is helping kids with cancer."

Sarah nodded and hugged him. "One of the things I admire is that, for you, hockey's not just about the game. It's about being a role model, giving back to the community, and supporting worthwhile causes. You use your fame graciously."

Mike looked at her with serious eyes. "I don't deserve you."

Sarah laughed and smiled wryly. "Far from it. I don't deserve you."

The song ended, and they sat on the sofa, facing each other.

"I'm sorry about the other night. I didn't mean to hurt you," Mike said, and he ran a hand gently along her cheekbone. "I've thought a lot about what you said. About not liking hockey. I must admit, at first it was a shock. Most people hang out with me because I am a hockey player. There are a lot of crazy fans out there, and you wouldn't believe what they do." He smiled crookedly. "It's ironic that, of all people, I fall for someone who can't stand hockey. It's how I define myself, and you won't be a part of it." He shook his head.

Her heart sank.

"But...I thought about it. Hockey is my job, just as being a doctor is yours. I'm pretty sure you don't expect me to hang out at the clinic and watch you work. Frankly, I hate hospitals and wouldn't want to spend my spare time in one," he admitted with a small smile. "It's pretty hypocritical of me to expect the same of you." He paused. "In my final year of school, just before the draft, I developed a sore throat. The doctor insisted it was mono even though I'd already had a bad bout of it a few years before that. He was sure he felt a large spleen and assigned me to the sidelines. Which might have been okay, except his nephew was the back-up goalie, who wanted to be showcased at a big tournament being held for the draft."

Sarah cringed.

"Yeah. Finally, after a lot of haggling, I had an ultrasound of my spleen and proved it was normal." He smiled wryly. "I haven't had much respect for the medical profession since then. Until I met you." He took her hand in his. "You really care. You see me as more than a hockey player," he said quietly. "I realized I needed that more than I needed another fan."

"Oh, Mike," she whispered, trying to speak past the lump in her throat. It all seemed so simple. Of course, they had core values in common. They both wanted to be the best that they could be. They both spent a lot of time doing things for others and putting others first. They enjoyed being together.

Mike tipped her face to his and kissed her tenderly. "I love you, Sarah. I've never felt this way about anyone before. The rest of the world slips away when I'm with you."

The joy and relief were overwhelming. "Oh Mike, I love you, too. I was so worried I'd ruined it. I promise you – I'm going to learn to like hockey."

Mike laughed. "I'm just glad you love me despite it."

Sarah kissed him. "Always."

The room was silent except for the crackling of the fire and their sighs of pleasure.

"Come with me." Mike stood and led her to his bedroom. He opened the top drawer of the dresser and pulled out a box. He opened it and showed her a ring – a single solitaire diamond on a band of white gold. Sarah's breathing hitched.

He went down on one knee. "Sarah, I love you with all my heart. Will you do me the honour of marrying me?"

Emotion clogged her throat. "Yes, Mike. Yes, please," she whispered. He stood and slipped the ring on her finger. It fit perfectly. She touched it reverently. "It's stunning, Mike." She went into his arms and kissed him.

Mike rested his forehead against hers. "Forever, Sarah. I promise you. I will love and cherish you forever."

"I love you, Mike. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you." Sarah brushed away happy tears. "I may not be by your side in a rink, but my heart is yours, wherever you are."

"And that's what's most important."

She grinned. "Calls for a celebration."

He laughed and tumbled with her onto the bed.