Acquaintences

"Please, please, please, if there's anyone up there, I just want a friend. No real reason, it'd just be so nice to have someone that I can care about that will care about me too. Please, pleeeeease. I don't know how much you can do at my expense, but maybe just send an angel? That'd be so great, and also, I'd love an autograph from my absolute idol, Usher-"

"Jimin?"

I jolt up from my kneeled position next to my bed and jerk my head around to see my roommate, Jeongguk, standing with a soccer ball at his hip, eyebrows arched in amusement. His jade colored hair falls over his eyes and his school uniform fits as though it was tailored for him. We've only just become acquainted, but I can already tell that he's a determined go-getter type, filled with adrenaline and amusement.

"Whatcha doin, dork?" He chuckles and tosses the ball at me lightheartedly. With my clumsy reflexes, I miss an easy catch and it bounces off my thigh, landing with an anticlimactic thud. Jeongguk dismisses it and tilts his head at me with the grin of a toddler. "I didn't know you were religious."

I push my hair back and straighten out my tie, shuffling my feet and fidgeting as I try to formulate an excuse for my desperate prayer. I decide I'd rather be honest than start our relationship with a web of fibs.

"I'm, umm, I'm not religious. I was actually just experimenting. I wanted to know if-"

"If you could get an autograph? I'll be honest, Jimin, I did not peg you as an usher fan." My cheeks burn with embarrassment.

Jeongguk laughs again before picking up the ball. "Wanna play?"

I let out a sigh, grateful for his change of subject. "If you couldn't tell, I'm not really the athletic type. I'm just trying to settle in."

"Come on, dude, your twelve step skincare routine can wait to be unpacked. I'll let you be the ref!" As if I was just dying to. He grabs my wrist and pulls me out the door with little resistance. I decide there's no point trying with someone like him.

We arrive at the Bangtan football field, Jeongguk far ahead of me as he joins up with a huge group of friends. Evidently he came from a prestigious elementary school that raises boys specifically for "Bangtan's School for Elite Boys." No wonder he's fitting in so well. He already knows half the class.

"Jimin, come meet my friends!" He waves me over, but I take a seat at the edge of the field and show a thumbs up with a half-hearted smile.

"I can ref from here!" I call out. This is enough to please him, so he shrugs and goes about dividing up teams. He seems to have a natural sense of leadership.

The field is quite big, with rows of bleachers on either side and a scoreboard which half the school's budget went into. It sits right in the valley of a roaring hill, with a beautiful field of cherry blossom trees at the top. I take in the fresh air of September and let the wind toss my hair around, losing interest in the game and letting my eyes droop shut...

"Hey, you okay?" Fading into my view is the tan and angular face of an unfamiliar boy. He stands over me with his hands on his hips and a curious smile. His nose is round and his lips are soft and smooth. Wavy, sand-colored hair frames his head beautifully. I wonder if he's accidentally wandered off a movie set.

"Did I...fall asleep?" I scratch my head and sit up slowly.

"Yeah, I guess so. I came here to grab my roommate for the welcome dinner, but then I see this guy just curled up in a ball like he's had the longest day of his life. I thought you could probably use a friend."

I blink a few times to get a better look at his face, which is far too beautiful for a teenage boy. "They really sent...an angel..." I mumble to myself, still in a dreamlike daze.

Whether he doesn't hear me, or doesn't care, I'm not sure. He holds out a hand and helps me up with ease. "Let's get to that welcome dinner, yeah?"

I nod, shaking my head to wake myself up a little. "I'm Jimin."

His lips stretch into a boxy smile, his eyes squinting shut innocently. "I'm Taehyung."