uh. vmin character development. ur welcome.

"So, how're you settling in?" Taehyung keeps pace with me as I stumble over the sleek marble floors of the school. He's a whole head taller than me, but doesn't speak as though I'm inferior. That's a first.

"Well, as good as can be expected." I reply.

"I've only just met you, so I actually don't know what to expect," he says, laughing. "Everyone's different."

"The answer is not good. My roommate is so outgoing and fun and all I want to do is cry into a pillow."

He puts a friendly arm around my shoulder. "That's understandable. I bet you miss your family."

"Not just that..." Of course I miss my parents and little brother, but that's not why this is so hard for me. I've always been so focused on school, I've never given much thought to what I would do in an unfamiliar environment. I don't have the first idea on how to make friends.

But I don't say any of this. I'm afraid Taehyung might think that I'm some loser. Instead, he quickly fills the silence.

"Well, the good news is, you're not alone. Nobody knows what they're doing in a place like this," Taehyung says with a grin. "I'm a second year, but when I first got here I felt like a...like a piece of meat. I was just some scrawny kid."

"A second year?" I raise my eyebrow. "You're only fifteen?" He's so wise and confident, not to mention tall and broad-shouldered. I'd assumed he was at least a third year.

"Well, not at all. I'm actually your age. I got a perfect score on the pre-SAT in seventh grade. They made me skip eighth, and I was sent here on recommendation." He smiles as if that's not ridiculously impressive.

"Jeez, Taehyung, you're smart!"

"I'm teasing, I made that all up. Yes I'm your age, but that's because I started school early. I'm smart, but not a genius. I came here for the music program."

I feel like I have whiplash, but I try to maintain enthusiasm. "So you sing?"

"No. I play the saxophone."

"Wow, you're full of surprises."

"So are you."

"Really?" I blush and rush to cover my cheeks with my hands. "I don't know what you're talking about, I've only been listening to you."

"That's the point." Taehyung pulls my hands away with a sweet smile. I'm taken aback, but frozen. "I've never met a handsome guy that was also a good listener."

"Thanks..." I blush harder.

"Also, I don't know too many genuine Usher stans."