Chapter 28

Alfie returned home and found the house lit from top to bottom. It was supposed to be dark by now, it's three bloody A.M. His children were fast asleep but there was no sign of his wife in their warm bed.

He could hear soft rustling in the main office and descended the second floor. Darlene stood by the doors of the main office, her hands on her mouth as if holding back a scream and as he got closer, he saw tears in the housemaids eyes.

"Darlene, what's going on?" Alfie asked, scratching the back of his head, wondering what's gotten into her.

Darlene jumped at the sound of his voice and choked back her sobs as she tried to say something.

"Grace...Grace..." Darlene repeated trying so hard to not cry.

But Alfie had zero patience for this now.

"Darlene." Alfie sternly said and then Darlene broke into a loud cry.

"Grace Shelby is dead! She was shot!"

Alfie barged into the office hoping to see his wife there. And she was. But he did not see the warm smile that she always greeted him with, she was hunched over the desk, telephone held to her ear with an unreadable expression.

There were no tears in her eyes. She had no time to cry. Margaret was furious with both the Shelby's and the Changretta's. And she bet her father was too. The foolhardy of the two clans could soon bring the demise of her family. A war that the Blackwell's will get caught in the crossfire.

"Yes...Yes...she's been shot." Margaret spoke to whoever was on the other line of the phone.

Alfie moved closer but she didn't take notice of him.

"What are we going to do papa?" She sighed in defeat.

He froze.

Instead of laying out her burdens on him, she turned to her father. He was jealous, as ridiculous as it seemed. Alfie crossed his arms as he watched his wife.

"Yes, Papa. I understand..." Margaret spoke and when she noticed Alfie by the door, her conversation with her father was cut short. And he found it odd that her demeanour changed at his presence. "I'll call you again soon, papa. Tell mama, I love her and the kids miss both of you...Of course, I'll tell them. Bye."

"Your dad?" Alfie asked.

Margaret just stared at him, she knew Alfie knew who it was.He walked closer and sat on the seat across the desk, his big frame almost too large for the chair.

They stared at each other. Both wondering on which topic to dwell on. Grace Shelby's death or how the Changretta and Shelby feud will affect their family.

"Your home late." Margaret spoke first, moving from the desk and taking Alfie's hand in hers.

Alfie eyed her up and down.

"Your dress is very lovely, dove." He said as he placed his hand on her waist feeling the fabric against her skin. "A shame I wasn't there with you."

"Yes. A shame." Margaret whispered monotonously and sat herself on Alfie's lap, the warmth of her body making Alfie grunt.

"Are you alright?"

His voice was soft. It was laced with the gentle concern he never showed anyone but to her.

Margaret nodded and leaned her forehead against his as his arms wrapped around her.

"Poor Thomas." She sighed, caressing Alfie's face and thinking about how lucky she was to still have him alive by her side. She wouldn't know what to do without him.