Chapter 6

Lynz gripped the granite countertop as she read the note Brenda left on the kitchen counter.

I left to go to work. Heal up soon, honey. ~Brenda (PS: Dr. Loney called, you are going to see her today)

Not even one thing about the fight, she thought. Lynz got her phone and took the city bus down to Rachelle Loney's office, resting near the outskirts of town. The gentle wind and overall peaceful scene of the small building's surroundings matched Rachelle perfectly.

"Hello, Lynz. I'm glad to see you came."

"I really didn't want to come. I only came because I don't want anymore trouble with Brenda. So can we please hurry this up? I bet you'll get paid either way, no matter what the time is..."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Do you want to talk about it, the trouble with your mother?"

"No, not with you. So, what exactly do I have to do to hurry this session up? 'Cause I have to check in with my protective friend soon, he gets worried really easily."

"It'll be fine. You should have told him about this appointment earlier." Lynz sucked in her top lip. She said nothing, so Rachelle continued. "And to 'get this over with', you have to be willing to cooperate with me. Share any emotions or stresses you have. I will not judge you."

Lynz shook her head. "You came too late. Honestly, Brenda's stupid to have set up our meeting. I took care of it years ago." It's only been 2, said one of the voices in her head. The voice was somewhat monotonic, hard to tell which entity spoke.

"It's never too late, Lynz. And it's not in your records that you have visited a professional therapist. I'm saying that you need a professional's help to fully recover from a tragedy." The only tragedy that you can think of is Scott's cousin's story, the calm voice said.

Life's a tragedy all in its own, the masochistic entity spat.

"Who are you talking to?"

You know it's best for you to comply. This might be what you've always been looking for. Maybe you won't ever need pain to feel satisfied! Just letting it be in the open, accepting, and forgiving will help you to live a new and better life; the one you have always deserved.

Don't say anything. You can take care of yourself. Remember how Brenda basically abandoned you as a daughter? It's too late. She can't redeem what she has lost.

"Lynz? Are you okay?"

"Yes. I just," she paused. Give an excuse, the bad entity said. "I have a headache. Can we hurry?"

Rachelle nodded understandedly. "Was your headache caused by voices?"

Lynz lightly caressed her forehead. "What?"

"Voices. They talk to you, in your mind? Aren't they quite talkative?"

This is a test. She doesn't really know, you better not give anything away.

"No. Sometimes I get migraines." Dr. Loney set her board and pen down and picked up a stack of papers from under her chair, along with her reading glasses set atop the pile.

"Your medical records show no sign of migraines. During your checkup with Dr. Ryon, did you mention that problem?"

"It just started today," Lynz blurted out. She turned pale, afraid that Rachelle could identify her lie.

After a moment of silence, Rachelle spoke. "Lynz, you fooled me. I suppose you'll be happy with that short-lived success?" Lynz remained silent. "Well, we might as well try to stay on track from now on. What about your friends? Do you miss them?"