(Intro) Devil Town

Travis
Father gave me a hard pat on the back, a little sore.
"Travis! You make your mother and I proud today, okay?"

First day of sophomore year, not sure what makes it more special but I didn't dare discuss it.

My father pulled me to the side and grabbed my hands, giving me a stern look.

"Look, I'm sorry about last night." He said

All I did was look at him, not getting the point.

He continued, "You know- my temper, and the things going on at the ministry-"

"Yes, father." I interrupted, "I know. Its okay."

Father gave me a small smile, "Great," he sighed, "you know our deal, Travis?"

My insides felt a little twisted up, but I smiled and nodded anyways.

"Yes," I reassured, "dont tell anyone.."

What a shitty deal. What do I get out of it? Absolutely nothing. More shit thrown at me? Another hospital trip? How about an extra hour in therapy?

And he gets out scott free.

I went back to my room to get dressed. I pulled off my night shirt and examined myself in my mirror.
Dark purple bruises littered my ribcage and the back of my shoulders.

At least purple is my favorite color.

I shoved myself into a purple sweater and kissed the cross around my neck before tucking it inside, safe and sound.

Looking outside, I had already decided.

"I fucking hate this year."

                   Sal
"Dude! This year is gonna be so fucking sick!"

Walking to school with Larry and Todd in the morning is such a routine for me- it was weird during the summer.

Todd shook his head at Larry's use of words, "Sick, Larry, really?"

My taller friend already had half a granola bar in his mouth, "What?" Crumbs flew.

Todd's only response was to shake his head again.

"Come on, Todd, lighten up!" I have to take big steps to keep up with them.

"I am lightened enough, Sal, thank you."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes, "Dude, youre so tense. Just chill out, today will be fine."

The red head huffed, curls bouncing as he walked along the sidewalk, "The beginning of the year is my least favorite and you know this." He stated, quite matter of factly.

As we approached the school you could hear teenagers on their skateboards and in their cars. You could also hear a lot of trap music and smell a faint odor of cigarettes.

Our trio stopped at the bottom of the steps leading to the main entrance.

"Ah.." Larry stared up at the building, "welcome back to Devil Town, folks."