T W E N T Y T H R E E : E N C O U N T E R

Jessie had been waiting for about a week after the interview when she was called. The phone rang and she stared at the unfamiliar number for a while.

She debated answering the call because she thought it could be Patrick calling. But then she slid the icon right. She had other things to consider and she had made it a plan not to involve Patrick in any part of her life.

Jessie answered the call with a hesitant, "Hello?"

"Yes, is this Jessica Rabbit?" the person on the other line asked.

Jessie's hopes soared high. It sounded like the people from the job. And they wouldn't call her so soon if not to offer her the job right?

She crossed her fingers, a silly habit she had picked up of recent and waited for the person on the other side of the line to say the motive for the call.

"Congratulations. You have been offered the job as editor on our team. Pass by tomorrow so as get a brief on your duties," the person said.

The voice wasn't particularly cheerful or happy but Jessie didn't care. She finally let out the breath she had been holding and rushed to answer. "Of course! Thank you so much!"

The rude person didn't bother to reply Jessie before hanging up but it didn't stop her from letting out a loud squeal. She had fucking gotten the job!

She wished she had friends she could call and announce the news to. It wasn't that she was completely antisocial, but after all that had happened to her, she was wary of people.

Jessie would have loved to say that all what had happened with Patrick, Pattie and Gracia had not turned her off people but unfortunately, it had. She couldn't even make friends properly. She didn't know how to take people's affection. And because of that, she was horribly lonely.

But that was not going to matter in a while. She was getting a job. It was going to be what she would focus on for the duration of the time they would have her. And who knew, maybe she could make friends with some people at her office.

Jessie sighed blissfully and decided to treat herself. She had not really been frugal because she had enough money saved up to sustain her. But she wasn't one of those people who beloved in throwing money around carelessly. She calculated basically every cost. And today, she decided to indulge.

After changing and walking down to her favorite dessert place, she instantly regretted her decision. She had spotted Theo once again and there was no where she could hide.

Jessie swallowed and pretended she hadn't seen him. She didn't want to look like some freak entering the shop then walking right out.

As soon as she ordered though, she walked out briskly, hoping that she was going to out walk Theo. To her greatest surprise though, it seemed like he had anticipated her move, and there he was, waiting for her on the outside.

Jessie paused, then she resumed walking briskly. Meeting Theo was not on her list of things to do. Not in like at least five months. She was dumbly scared to actually talk to him, not that she knew why.

"Jessie!" he exclaimed. "Jessie wait!"

Jessie pretended not to hear but then she came to an abrupt halt when he held her by the arm and forcefully stopped her.

There it was. That zing of awareness. Apparently even after all this time, it was still there. Jessie schooled her face into an indifferent mask. She didn't want Theo to know that he affected her.

She looked up and Theo then looked away again. This was bringing up too many emotions. She just wanted to get over everything in peace? Was that too much to ask?

"Why do you keep running from me?" Theo asked, making Jessie look up at him. His tone was flat and if not for his eyes, Jessie would have thought he was blissfully unaffected.

"Theo if I'm running away from you then I don't want to see you," she said, trying to make him leave her arm.

He wasn't holding it hard enough to bruise her. But she knew with all the fidgeting she was making, a mark was sure to remain.

"Why? Don't you think we have so much to talk about?" he asked softly. Jessie swallowed. Dammit, he still affected her as much as he had done the previous year.

She would have thought it would fade in time, but no. This dude still had that thing and she didn't even know what it was.

"I don't Theo. Just leave me alone," Jessie replied. That was not what she had intended to say. But it had come out and she wasn't going to take it back.

Theo had a hurt look on his face and he let her arm go. Jessie felt small in that moment. Hurting Theo was the last thing she had wanted to do. But her big mouth and stubborn attitude had helped with that.

She turned around and walking away, willing herself not to cry till she reached home. She looked desolately at the desserts in her hand and sighed. She didn't even think she was going to enjoy eating them. Served her right.

***

Theo watched Jessie walk away. She was stubborn as ever. That much hadn't changed. But he was counting on the fact that she would be curious enough to want to talk to him. But that hadn't gone according to plan.

He sighed and shook his head. Call him stupid, call him crazy, call him uselessly hopeful but something told him that just like him, Jessie was having difficulties moving on.

He had noticed her look, the one she had tried to flatten. When he touched her, there was still that awareness and he knew she felt it as well. But as he said, she was just too stubborn.

He sighed and walked back towards the shop. Jessie thought he was going to give up just like that? She was it for him. And now, all he had to was convince her that she could take a chance on them.

***

Word count: 1040 words

Hi. So I am terribly ashamed about the time I've gone without updating and I'm also terribly ashamed about the length of this chapter.

Life is hard. I'm serious.

I know it's kind of a filler chapter but give me your thoughts anyways.

Love, Essie 🌺