Chapter 7

Chapter Seven.

Artemis had eaten some breakfast that she had made while Regan got ready and rang Jason. While the phone call had been short, she could tell that there was a still a great sadness in Regan's voice when she spoke with him. It was something that Artemis herself was becoming used to feeling and hearing in her own voice.

Regan's seemed to have lost a lot more than she was letting on. It was then that Artemis realised that although the house was small enough, there was a spare bedroom. A spare bedroom that was probably not always a spare bedroom. It wasn't hard to miss that Regan spoke little to non of her own family and she was young enough to still at least live with parents or siblings.

Artemis could hear a car pull up outside the kitchen window, the sound of the wheels on the gravel distracting her from her own thoughts momentarily.

She watched as the dark haired boy got out of the car and headed towards the front of the house.

"Tell him I'll be out in a minute" Regan called out as Artemis went to open the front door.

She opened it just before he could ring the doorbell, she caught his finger held out, about to press it. He looked surprised to see her standing there, clearing expecting Regan to have answered the door.

"Hey" he said giving her a smile. "Are ya comin' with Regan into the village?"

"Yeah" she said. "Maybe just for a bit, to see where Wally hung out"

Jason nodded, his smile turning into a tight line.

"I'll show ya where everything was if ya want. Probably best Reggie not go with you"

Artemis was taken apart by his bluntness. She blinked several times, trying to hide her growing anger at this guy. Who was he to tell her what Regan could or could not do? Was he her keeper? Could she not live her own life?

She instead, shrugged her shoulders, deciding it best not to say anything. She thought of the sadness in Regan's voice and the distant look she had in her eyes as she talked about the war. She was disturbed still from the thought of the spare room.

"Okay" Artemis said as Regan walked down the hall calling out a greeting to Jason.

Jason's face brightened up at the sight of Regan, giving the girl a big smile. It was obvious to Artemis then, that he had some sort of a crush or love for Regan. It was nice to see, that even in such a dark time, that people could still fall in love. But at the same time, it tore at her heart, thinking of how many times that people had watched Wally's face brighten at the sight of her walking towards him, thanking him for his help or smiling at him.

She tried to swallow the lump that formed in her throat as they walked towards Jason's old beat up silver Nissan Almera. She got into the back of the car, while Regan sat in the front of the car, chatting to Jason as he reversed the car.

"I'll take her to it" Artemis heard him say. "It's not a big deal Reggie. Just get what you need done in the village. Sure I've my own stories to tell. I knew him too"

Regan sighed and looked back to Artemis, a look of unease in her face.

"Will that be okay?" She asked her. "It's only a few things. Nothing major"

Artemis smiled and nodded. "Honestly I don't want to get in your way. I just want to see a few things. Get a sense of what he did here"

Regan nodded and turned back to the front. The car was silent, other than the sound of Jason's radio in the car, as they drove back into the village. Artemis recognised some of the trees that she and Regan had past on their walk towards the house. She could easily remember her way back if she needed to walk back on her own. She didn't want to stay with Jason long, not liking the atmosphere that he had put around herself and him.