26: This is the Game

Mare was paralyzed. She meant to ask a thousand questions, each rising to her tongue fast as her petrified brain could process Alison's words.

Unfortunately, none achieved the opportunity. For no sooner had Alison spoken another voice rang through the dusty parlor.

"And his marks would've been better for it." A man's voice, hard and abraded as stone, followed by a pair of matching chuckles and the clamor of whiskey glasses distributed. "But Camden's never been a smart boy. Lucky he's comely, like his mother."

Alison's mouth popped open, and she looked to Lilith and Mare, stunned. Lilith seemed to think quicker than both girls, seizing each by the wrist and stealthily yanking them back, deeper into the stacks.

Alaster Doores Alison mouthed, brown eyes wide. She crouched quietly beside Mare and Lilith, brow furrowed as she tilted her head toward the parlor below and tucked a strand of dark hair behind her ear.

"Geoffrey is quite clever. Lazy as a God damned cat, of course. Teddy's the only success I'll have produced, mark my words. Though some days I admit I fear he's a bit...sensitive" Another voice, this one sharper, curter. Nathaniel Bridge. A box snapped open and closed, and the smell of tobacco quickly swelled toward the ceiling. "But that boy's got that Gilbert wrapped around his finger. Plenty of time and opportunity to negotiate with Edmund before the deal passes."

Mare and Alison whipped toward Lilith, whose head was cocked, brow raised, expression cool and impassive.

"A good thing, too." A third voice; this Mare recognized as Orson Watt, Alison's father. He'd spent nearly all of Alison's childhood traveling to New York and Philadelphia and Boston and New Orleans. Mare could only recall his likeness due to the large oil rendering of him in the entryway, opposite his wife and daughter. "We'll need the investment to swing Duke. Besides. I can smell it in the air—that Edwards girl. She's got someone up her sleeve."

Edwards! That was Matilde's husband's last name; Matilde's last name!

"Ha!" Alaster laughed sharply, then coughed. After a moment of hacking, he cleared his throat. "That someone is her husband!"

The men laughed, and Mare bristled.

"Now, Alaster, you've got to give me the truth. I've heard your boy's been wandering around with that other, homely Atwood. Tell me you've got damn good reason for it, and you're not letting that fool boy call his own shots."

Mare clapped a hand over her mouth to keep from gasping, eyes wide. Lilith and Alison grabbed a hand of Mare's each, clutching tight. Mare thought to be humiliated, but an unfamiliar, all-consuming rage ignited deep within her belly instead, and flared outward. She feared she'd set the whole Watt estate ablaze with her fury, but ground her teeth instead, shook her head sharply to the girls, and bent her ear to listen.

"Odd thing, old boys. I'm not sure what's gotten into him. He's not yet asked to court her. All I can guess is it's some sort of boy's game. And you all know how Camden is when it comes to winning." The men laughed again, Alaster the loudest. "Just like his father."

"I told you," said Nathaniel, muffled, presumably around the fat end of a cigar, "bat him around a bit. That'll put him in order. Works every time—ask my boys."

The men chuckled, Alaster speaking over their mirth, "Shame you were saddled with a girl, Orson. And one at that."

"Oh, I tend to disagree, Alaster. Best to stop at one, if that's the direction you're headed," jeered Nathaniel to another boom of laughter. "One dowry's better than two."