Chapter 2: Captain and Detective

Maggie Sawyer. Captain of the NCPD. Adpotive mother to the best detective in the department. (Though said detective doesn't know this) Talking to high school kids about their chances to be police officers was not her favorite.

Hunter Sawyer. Detective for the NCPD. She wants to inspire the young to abide to the law and become future officers.

The two were giving speeches about the hard work of law enforcement to the junior class of National City High. No one seemed particularly interested, except one boy. He had shiny blonde hair and pure emerald green eyes. He was like the exact opposite of Hunter. He was bouncy and quite, while she was loud and still.

After the speeches Hunter was sure he would ask a question but he didn't. She was confused. "Yo mom, isn't it wierd that the kid that seemed most interested didn't ask a single question?" "Yeah. You're right. However, we have to go to a separate room to talk to a kid. For what I don't know, so come on." Hunter nodded and followed her mother.

When they walked into the room they were surprised to see the boy facing them and two women with their backs towards them. One woman had black hair, it was as black as night. The other had blonde hair just like the boy. He saw the two officers walk in and waved. The two women turned around and Maggie gasped.

"Um... Kara, Lena... What are you doing here?" Maggie said with a nervous tone. Hunter put a supportive hand on her shoulder. Kara glared at the two. "Is this who you replaced my sister with Maggie?" "Wait what!? You think we're dating? That's just ew. This is my mom." Hunter said with a shocked tone.

The black haired woman smacked the blonde's arm. "Kara, that was extremely rude. Apologize, NOW." Kara looked everywhere except for making eye contact with the three other women. "Maggie, I'm sorry. I just thought that you said you never wanted to adopt children." Hunter's head snapped over to her mother. "Never wanted to 'adopt'? You never bothered to tell me for 20 years that I was adopted! I'm leaving have fun." She screamed as she ran out of the room. "Hunter, wait!" But there was no response.

Maggie just looked down with tears in her eyes. Lena whispered something in Kara's ear. When she finished Kara got up and grabbed Preston's hand, as they walked out of the room Lena looked over at Maggie.

"Did you say her name was Hunter? As in Kara and I's first child? The one she doesn't know about?" Lena asked with desperation. Maggie only responded with a nod. Lena gasped and covered her mouth with her hands. Tears started to prickle in her eyes. "Thank you." Maggie gave a solemn nod in Lena's direction.

"Who was the boy with you and Kara?" She asked, curiosity getting the better of her. "Oh, that is Preston our 16 year old son. He is mute. Which is why you and Hunter were called in here." Lena responded. "I'm sorry about Kara. She doesn't know about anything of Hunter. She doesn't know anything about that time she was in a coma." "Lena, it's okay. Honestly I think she is more mad about me having adopted a child. After all it's the reason Alex and I broke up." There was silence after that statement.

"Preston, will be a great cop. He paid attention to detail, during the speeches." Maggie stated, to break the silence. Lena gave a smirk. She handed a piece of paper to Maggie. "These are Preston's questions. You and Hunter can answer them at Thanksgiving with us." "I... I... I don't want Kara to be mad at me." "I'll tell her everything it will just be the 6 of us." "6? There's only 5 of us." "Alex will be there."

Maggie sighed and told Lena she'd be there. Luckily, Thanksgiving is two weeks away. Now she needed to find Hunter and tell her everything. Who her parents are and why they had to give her up. This will make for a great conversation. Especially since Hunter dives into her work when she's upset.