twenty six

As soon as we reached the car Harry reached for the door of the fucking huge trunk, revealing what seemed to be a makeshift sitting area with a white duvet spread across the floors and two fluffy pillows resting on either corners of the trunk. Settling the box onto one of the seats, he urges me to get in, quickly walking to the other side of the vehicle. I sit down, the covers softer than I expected it to be, a small mattress tucked underneath. It was dark ahead and I could barely see anything, nonetheless the light from the moon was enough to illuminate the waters in front of me, a few yards away and seemingly extending forever. I could almost feel water splashing on my feet. Now that I’ve thought about it, I didn't really know what I was doing there, by the beach, sitting on the same car I sat on last Friday on the verge of wasting myself.

Come to think of it, I never really gave attention to the stuff he would tell me about his girlfriend because I didn't care and it felt weird listening to someone rant on about how someone left them when the whole time that's what I've been wanting to do as well. And for some reason now I was interested, because I didn't know I needed someone to tell me I wasn't alone, and guilt was eating me alive. Harry switches on the lights inside the car, shedding brightness all over and running back to the trunk like a kid on Christmas, the hems of his jeans hiked halfway up his shins. “Is that fine?” He questions, the previous arrangement of his hair drastically disorganised by the winds, his fingers immediately coming in to fix the tangles.

“It's alright.” I reply, flashing him a smile.

He takes out the box from the plastic and put it on the duvet, taking out the single bottle of soju and Cheetos as well. For the next ten minutes he opens up the soju and one of the bottles from inside the box and settled himself next to me, eyes squinted as he looked far out into the sea, taking a swig every now and then. He looked at the sea longingly, seemingly in deep thought everytime he would gulp on his alcohol. I sat there in silence beside him, thinking twice about the liquor in my grasp as I watched him watch the waves, barely remembering what it exactly tasted like. It has been a while after all, and for all I know it’s good I have forgotten what it tasted like since I’m pretty sure it wasn’t nice. Nevertheless I took a sip anyway, my face morphing into a grimace as the liquid made its way down my esophagus.

Yep, I don't like it.

“Oh my fucking god.” I wheezed, coughs breaking from my throat from the burning sensation generated by the alcohol. It tasted like fish sauce. But not just fish sauce, there was other stuff in it of course and said stuff mixed with alcohol made my insides tremble.

Harry tears his longing gaze off the shorelines to look at me, as I hurry to wipe off the liquid overflowing at the corners of my mouth, breaking into a series of chuckles. “What's the matter?” He laughs arching his eyebrow, “Can’t handle a little fire?”

“shut up.” I heave, pressing my stomach against my thighs as coughs continued to escape my mouth, my toes curling against the sand. “It’s been a while, okay? And this isn't necessarily the mildest thing ever.”

“Ah I'm sure it's fine.” He rolls his eyes, taking another sip on his bottle. “Here let me see.” He instructs, taking the drink from me and bringing it over to his mouth, swallowing the content like it was nothing he held it up, my stomach churning from the sight of him taking three gulps before putting it down. It wasn't too long before we were both coughing, his face curved in pain as he brings a hand up to his mouth cover up, the soju left alone next to me, barely touched after four sips.

“I told you so.” I shrugged once I recovered a little, suppressing the laughter begging to rip out of my throat, but I digressed. The drink was beyond anything I have ever drank before, perhaps because of the fact I haven't drunk anything before but based on his primal reaction, it was still immensely strong.