thirty two

An abrupt stop of the violin music made the buzzing of the people even more audible now, whirring coming from some kind of a microphone catching all our attention. I look up from my seat, searching for the place where it was coming from, my eyes landing on stage, the ramp made of polished wood. On it was a band, all wearing tuxedos and suits. Nothing spectacularly surprising at this point, nonetheless there was one detail which stood out; a blonde guy standing in front of the microphone with the biggest smile on his face, like he had just won the lottery and had to keep all the money to himself. "Good evening, everyone!" He spoke through, an accent prominent from his voice.

Deja Vu crosses my head, the scene a bit too familiar. I haven't been in an absurdly luxurious party before, but there was this gut feeling inside me telling me I've done so, even multiple times. Perhaps it was just the side effect of sleep deprivation or the stuff I've been actively drinking for the past three days; even so it was difficult to shake off.

"I would like to thank everyone who made this event possible to accomplish; My incredible parents, and their lovely and amazingly thoughtful friends. We wouldn't be standing here right now on our way to Costa Rica if it wasn't for you guys, you are beyond amazing." He continues, taking the mic from the stand and bringing it along with him as he strides. Realization struck me the longer I stared at his bright face; He was the birthday boy.

What do you know? The kid looked like he was barely in his twenties but his millionaire parents made it possible for him to own a fucking cruise. I don't even dream of having a car to drive on my own, let alone a luxury cruise probably worth than my entire life but I digress.

"And as forever grateful as I am for all these amazing material things; Of course nothing can ever replace the gift of friendship." He says, the crowd silent and still, all focused on him. "For that I thank my friends who's been there for me twenty four seven even though I'm a pain in the ass, excuse my language. You guys are the real MVP, and I say that with heart."

A series of laughter emitted from the audience, nonetheless, none from our table. "Oh god here we go . ." Kirsten muttered under her breath, rolling her eyes away from the boy by the stage. She places a hand over her face, Andrea reaching for the champagne bottle and pouring copious amounts of it onto her glass.

I frown at their reactions, my gaze going back front only to meet another pair of blue eyes, peering back at me across tables worth of space. "Also for the special person in my heart," He mumbles, voice trailing off as he looked towards my general direction. "Thank you . ." He sighs through a crooked smile, my heart swelling from the sight of it. "Thank you because you accepted me even though you were scared of letting people enter your life. Thank you because instead of pushing me away, you gave me the benefit of the doubt and taught me how to be good. And thank you for. . Just being there for me and supporting me. Always remember that I love you, probably more than I can take."

I looked behind me, seeking for the person he was possibly pertaining to; unable to find anyone specific in the sea of people. Such beautiful words for a beautiful person, yet still so obscure. Wouldn't anyone want to take credit for making him feel such a way? He was attractive. Hell, way more attractive than I'm comfortable with and any girl could melt under him in any second, but despite that, nobody seemed to acknowledge him. Just a boy standing in front of a hundred people sharing his massive love. Maybe that's one of the reasons why he talked so softly about this person; because they were the only one who acknowledged him.

He was still staring at me, heat crawling up my cheeks in a sudden necessity to know what I looked like.

"C'mon, don't just sit there and act all clueless, stand up for me!'' He chuckles, smile growing bigger as he held his hand out. He was beautiful, and I couldn't help but remind myself of the way Harry laughed in his car. My heart was pounding inside my rib cage, beads of sweat forming on my forehead the longer I sat there. What was even happening? "Cassandra, just stand up for me, please."