twenty seven

Hours seemed to pass that we were drinking, the night deepening as I took it easy on the intoxicating liquor making its way down my esophagus every now and then. I couldn’t seem to stop, the urge to feel the sweltering warmth of the alcohol coming to me like a necessity, but I didn't mind. It was only just for tonight. Harry remained seated next to me, drinking the last bottle in our box and grabbing a chip from our bag of cheetos everytime he gets the chance, the crunch the only sound surrounding us. I didn't know when I became this person, but I wished it would never end. I wished I was always this calm and comfortable, but unfortunately eventually I needed to get away and sort my life out. If I had the choice I would replay this moment over and over again, nonetheless, I couldn't run away from my problems forever.

Eventually I'll face Stella again, and whether I like it or not, I would see Bill again and settle what I did. But for now, I'll cherish the beach and the wind slapping across my face. It wasn't too long before the chilly breeze went from mild to intense, goosebumps forming on our skin from the cold. Harry grabbed the sheets and the pillows, opening up the back seat and encouraging me to get in, so I did immediately, rubbing my feet together for warmth. He reaches for the front and turned up the heater, hurrying to wrap the white sheets over me as I quiver in the corner. I catch the  tinge of red going from his one cheek to the other, his eyes slightly drooping and his lips wet from the liquor. The scent of a mixture of beer and soju going off from his shirt.

I hugged the sheets against my body and enjoyed the warmth inside. My eyes were heavy, my heart beating out of my chest despite just sitting there, but I didn't stop putting the rim of the bottle into my mouth, my throat getting used to the heat of the liquid. I’ve felt this sensation somewhere before. Like I was floating and running at the same time. It didn’t make sense, but nothing has been making sense in my life since I met Stella. There was only silence between us as Harry leaned his back against the couch, looking at the lights from the ceiling of his car the way he stared at the ocean. I wanted to ask him another question about his girlfriend to fill the quiet, nonetheless I could barely form the words at the back of my throat from thinking I would slur. And for some reason I was scared of admitting to myself that I'm drunk.

“Do you think I’m ugly?” His lips move, eyebrows furrowed as his eyes peered at the blinding light above us.

“No!” I talk too soon, my head seemingly unattached from the control of my mouth. It was true though, and I couldn't understand how he could think of such a thing. “Jesus, you're anything but ugly. If you were a fruit you would be a fine-apple!

“I thought you said no puns?” He breaks into a series of chuckles, the corners of his eyes crinkling as his shoulders shook.

“Was that a pun?” I question myself, taken over by the impulse bubbling in my stomach. “Fucking hell I don't even know. But yeah, you're goddamned attractive Harry, that question doesn't even make sense in your case.” I clarify, taking another sip on the almost finished bottle in my grasp.

His head tilts towards my direction, a smirk plastered across his reddened face, eyebrows arched as if taunting me. “So you think I'm attractive?” He narrows his eyes.

“Hell yeah you are!” I laugh outloud to reduce the fire in my stomach, taking another gulp but it didn't seem to do anything.  “You're like a celebrity everytime students see you and they're not the only one gushing. I couldn't even believe your girlfriend had the balls to dump you.”

He took a deep breath, turning his head back to look at the ceiling again, green eyes illuminated by the white light. I'm sure she must've had some other reason why she left him, and I wanted to know why. Not only because I was curious, but also for the reason I needed him to talk more. I didn't want him to stop talking and end this night too soon, if anything, I wanted to be there forever. “How was she like?” I asked, my voice unfamiliar to my ears as it cracked. I leaned my head against the seat as well, sitting sideways next to him and admiring the lines of his visage.