00 - Lensed

He never thought he would stumble upon her, just after a morning meeting with the President and staff members of Seoul Ballet Academy, talking about the upcoming concert in the last quarter of 2019 and how the board members love to have someone to capture the moments of the Academy's preparation until the concert day. And Kihyun found this opportunity as a golden ticket to have his solo exhibition sponsored by such an established academy. He always wanted to have his own photography exhibition, and this is the chance.

Kihyun decided to tour around the Academy, familiarise himself with the compound so he could plan his shots properly. With light steps, Kihyun walk on the large halls of the academy passing through the dance studios packed with company dancers and classical music accompanying their warm up. Such a different world, he thought; the regal-like environment, the gracefulness that engulf the surrounding, ballet dancers filled the studios and some walking on the halls, finding them stretching on their own or sneaking some snack time between their breaks, light chatter about the upcoming audition, and that rose scent tickles his nose.

And that moment, he stopped as his eyes landed on a lone figure inside the skylight studio. A ballerina, alone, in the studio, busy with her pointe shoes as she stretches her legs near the mirror. Kihyun took a few steps back, gaining a good sight of the studio and her. He couldn't even stop watching the way she moves, the way her chiffon skirt flows alongside with her movements and the way the sun hit her figure, creating beautiful dimensions of shadows. Completely drawn, mesmerised, and hypnotised just by her presence, Kihyun couldn't help but took out his camera from his camera bag that hangs on his shoulder and he eternalised the moment she did a Grand Jetê en Tournant perfectly.

The way she smiles on the perfect landing and how she gracefully lowers her arms, it struck Kihyun on her enchanting aura that glows, shining together with the sun light that beams through the windows.

She reminded him of how a beautiful butterfly, dancing around a garden filled with flowers.

Her eyes caught Kihyun's and her lips tugged into a smile, nodding her head in acknowledge of his presence outside the studio. Startled by the sudden eye contact, Kihyun quickly lowered his camera and smiled back at her, yet his heart is about to burst at this second; and a faint red flush creep onto his cheeks. 

She continued her routine, as she found comfort on Kihyun's warm gaze on her and her smile never falters as she turns, leaped, standing on pointe, while stealing some glances at Kihyun from the mirror reflection. 

He silently watches her, completely drowned into her world. Until he heard his team calling him back to reality, signalling it's time to go. A faint sigh escaped from his lips as he placed his camera back into the bag and quickly left the hallway to join the others.

I wish I could stay longer, he thought.

As cliché as it sounds inside his mind, is this what it feels like, falling in love at the very first sight? Will he find her once again?