Chapter 10

The atmosphere was thick and heavy, and the hallway fell dead silent, despite the music blasting from the floor above.

David closed his eyes for a brief while, and breathed out a quiet sigh before opening them back up to look at Michelle and Monique as they gaped at each other, before looking back up at him. This was more awkward than he could ever imagine, and each time that he found himself opening his mouth up to say something, he would instantly close it, due to the heavy tension that clouded around the three of them.

Seconds later after recollecting himself, David cleared his throat before finally opening his mouth to speak up.

"Michelle, this is Monique, my new Secretary" he introduced as Michelle slowly nodded at her, trying not to make things more awkward than it already was. "Monique, this is Michelle... she's my son's girlfriend" he muttered the last bit quietly, causing Monique to slightly scrunch up her face in confusion. As she looked back up at David and noticed how he avoided looking at Michelle, it began to dawn on her that Michelle had chosen Jay, hence why David was so bitter and harsh on the idea of ever falling in love again. 

There were still a lot of things she didn't understand, but it all seemed to make sense by the second.

"Its nice to meet you" Michelle uttered, quickly plastering a smile on her face, before holding out her hand for Monique to shake. The look on her face was filled with jealousy, and not even her smile could cover it up.

Monique stared down at her hand for a few seconds, before taking a step closer to her to shake it. "You too" she said as David watched on closely.

As they slowly let go of each other's hands several seconds later, Michelle quickly flicked her eyes back up at David who stared back at her. Not only was it awkward for Monique standing there, but it felt like she didn't exist with the way David looked at Michelle. It was almost as if he had forgotten that she was stood beside him for a brief while, and it made her feel a lot of emotions that definitely were not positive.

"Well, I should probably head back upstairs" she said, running her fingers through her hair, whilst taking a step back. She waved a small awkward wave, before turning around to walk away.

Silence remained between them till she was out of sight. Monique gaped up at David who ran his hand down his face, before opening her mouth to speak up. "Why do you look so nervous?" she questioned, causing him to look down at her. "You said she was your son's girlfriend so why do you look as if you had just got caught cheating on her with me? you owe her no loyalties, right?".

David ran his fingers through his hair frustratingly. He went to grab Michelle's hand, but before he could, she quickly took a step back from him, before crossing her arms across her chest. "Monique..." he sighed, taking a step closer to her.

"This always fucking happens" she muttered quietly under her breath, whilst shifting her eyes away from him. "Clearly I've wasted my time opening up to you and getting closer to you, because you love somebody else, who is in a fucking relationship with your son may I add" she hissed, raising her voice at him a little.

Annoyed and frustrated, she threw her hands up in the air, before going to walk away from him. As she was about to walk round the corner, David quickly pulled her back and backed her up against the wall, whilst breathing in and out. He cupped both her cheeks and lowered his head slightly as she stared up at him overwhelmingly.

"Why would you lead me on like this, David?" she whispered, before slowly removing his hands away from her face.

"Look, I'll explain everything to you and tell you everything you need to know alright" he uttered, going to speak up again, but was quickly cut off by someone calling his name, causing him to take a step back from Monique.