Chapter 17

Several days later, it was early morning and Monique was in the kitchen with her sister, Jada as she watched her make some breakfast.

She crossed her arms across her chest and breathed out a small sigh before turning to glance down the window. It had been four days since her and David spent the night together and she couldn't help but get the impression that he was avoiding her. Due to him not calling or leaving her text messages like he always did, it made her start to overthink. Maybe she was overreacting, but she had thought that things would be different seeing as they slept together. She wasn't the desperate type or the type of person to completely flounder herself over a man, but it was different with David.

"What's the matter, Mo?" Jada questioned, placing the pancake mix down on the table, before turning her attention to her.

Monique turned her head to face her before slowly shaking her head. "Nothing, I'm just-

"I asked what's the matter, not for you to lie to me" said Jada, quickly cutting her off her sentence and arching a brow up.

Monique playfully rolled her eyes at her before biting onto her lip. She paused for a brief moment, thinking through what she was about to say before speaking up. "Alright I got a big problem... I think I'm in love with somebody... ugh my head is such a mess, this is why I always stayed away from getting to know people" she groaned under her breath.

"Well, this person you in love with... is he 6'ft tall, in his late 30's, fine as hell and happen to go by the name of your boss David Morris?" Jada chuckled lightly, placing her hand on her hips. "Girl, you two could've at least tried to hide the fact that you were fucking when you picked me up at the police station, but I gotta say he is not the type of man I thought you'd ever go for".

"Neither did I, but things just happen, and we've only slept together once" Monique shrugged.

"I know its none of my business, but he's big right? I could just tell" Jada whispered the last bit, causing Monique to laugh. "No but for real, you know I like David but just be careful okay, he's older and-

"Alright, enough about David for now, hurry up and finish making breakfast so I can take my ass to work"Monique snickered, before picking up a cup of coffee and taking a sip of it.

Jada gently stroked her hair before picking up a cigarette and lighter from the table and lighting it. "Its Daddy's birthday today" she muttered quietly, pouring some pancake mix into the pan. "He always hated celebrating his birthday we had to force him to remember?" she chuckled, blowing a whiff of smoke into the air.

Monique stared directly at her for a brief while before speaking up. "While you were in jail I saw mom again..." she spoke, causing Jada to quickly drop everything and snap her head back over to her.

"What did she want?" she questioned, with her hands shaking rapidly.

"She wanted to see me. She said all this bullshit about how she's sorry and how she's changed, but I just couldn't stand being around her... she also has a new family, a husband and two boys... she looked really happy with them" Monique explained briefly.

Jada removed the cigarette from her lips and placed it on the table, before taking a step closer to her. "We don't need her, we've never needed her, the two of us; that's all that matters okay" she muttered, taking another step back to lower her head and take a deep breath with a horrific look plastered across her face. The relationship with Jada and their mom was toxic and very dysfunctional. They had never gotten along as mother and daughter but things had gotten much worse after their father died.

After several seconds, Jada quickly shook her head to clear away all her thoughts before plastering on a smile onto her face. "So... tell me more about David" she spoke, quickly changing the subject. Monique chuckled lightly, but her smile slowly faded away seconds later as she thought back to David possible avoiding her. She knew exactly what she wanted from him, but she also knew that it wasn't going to be easy to get it.