Christmas Time Is Here

The wind whipped (Y/N)'s coat as she hurried to unlock the front door to 221b Baker Street. She was thankful it hadn't snowed in London yet; the middle of December was vicious and cold. Hopefully, Sherlock had a cuppa ready for her upstairs.

Mrs. Hudson greeted the (H/C) at the base of the stairs. "Good afternoon, (Y/N)," she smiled, then gestured to her grocery bags. "Need any help?"

"That would be lovely, Mrs. Hudson."

Together they climbed the stairs with the multiple grocery bags full of 'Christmassy' things such as cookie mix, wrapping paper, and a few gifts. As they entered the flat, Sherlock sat in his chair still in his robe, deep in his mind palace.

"Thanks for offering to help," (Y/N) huffed, taking the bags from Mrs. Hudson. "It's freezing outside and I had so many bags I barely could reach my keys."

"I hadn't noticed you'd left, to be honest," he replied. He cracked an eye. "What did you buy?" He was pointing at the cookie dough.

She smiled. "Cookie dough. I thought we could make some Christmas cookies," she explained.

"Have fun with that," Sherlock quickly turned around to leave the kitchen, but (Y/N) grabbed his arm to stop him.

"You're helping me, and you don't have a say in this."

Sherlock groaned in annoyance. "This is what you get for not helping with carrying groceries up the stairs." she giggled.

He kissed her cheek. "Alright. What's the first step?"

"We need to measure and mix our dry ingredients before adding in the wet ones."

They got mixing flour, sugar, baking soda, and a dash of salt before stirring in milk, butter, and eggs. (Y/N) turned to Sherlock when the mixture was too stiff to stir. "Sherlock, can you stir this please?"

He rolled his eyes and took the bowl, stirring the mixture. (Y/N) prepped a pan for the oven. Sherlock set the bowl on the counter and helped roll the dough into tiny balls for her to set on the pan. The cookies were baking in the oven and the two sat down to rest.

"Sherlock?"

He opened his eyes in acknowledgment. "I was wondering if you'd come with me to get a tree tomorrow."

"We don't need a tree," he said.

"Yes we do, it's Christmas time!" she claimed. "Besides, you wouldn't let me go at the beginning of the month so all the small, imperfect ones are left."

"We don't need a tree for Christmas."

"I know you're a sociopath-"

"A high-functioning one-"

"But this is just cruel." (Y/N) finished her statement.

"I just don't understand why Christmas is such a big deal." he defended himself.

She thought for a moment. "The holidays are magical, Sherlock," she started. "It puts everyone in a better mood, it's the time for family and friends, and everyone loves giving and receiving gifts."

He still wasn't convinced.

"Can we please get a tree tomorrow?"

"No."

*****

Despite Sherlock's best efforts, they ended up getting a tree. It was really the fact that seeing (Y/N) smile at the lot sold him on the idea that maybe the holidays weren't that bad.

So here she was, sitting in the middle of thousands of shopping bags full of Christmas decorations. She had told him her mission today was to decorate the flat.