Monster Among Men

"Sherlock!" John pulled his laptop from his flatmate. "I've told you countless times, stop spying on (Y/N) while she's visiting family in America."

The consulting detective groaned. "I just want to make sure she's safe."

"Moriarty hasn't bothered you two since she divorced," John reminded him. "She's perfectly fine."

Sherlock was silent for a moment before he spoke. "Do you ever wonder how they met?"

John furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

Sherlock narrowed his eyes in thought. "(Y/N) and Moriarty. Such an unlikely pair and yet they met, fell in love, and married."

John chuckled. "That's how it usually happens, Sherlock. You two met and fell in love."

"But we're a more likely pair," he argued.

The blogger shrugged his shoulders. It was true that Sherlock and (Y/N) were a better pair; they clicked and challenged the other. "Why don't we ask Mycroft if he knows anything about her past life?"

Sherlock grimaced. "I'm not asking him for assistance."

John rolled his eyes. "Don't be selfish Sherlock. You said so yourself you wonder how they met."

The detective was silent. He turned and glared at his flatmate. "I hate it when you're right." Sherlock sighed. "Call Mycroft on our way there."

John rolled his eyes and shrugged on his coat, following Sherlock down to the street. Dialing Mycroft's number, the doctor patiently waited while it rang. He was fastening his seat belt when Mycroft finally answered.

"It must be something important if you're calling me." his voice rang through the speaker.

"I have a question," John clarified.

"It's about the American woman Sherlock has a great interest in." he could practically hear Mycroft's smirk on the other side of the receiver.

"Her name is (Y/N) (L/N)," John replied.

"'Was'," Mycroft corrected. "She is (Y/N) Moriarty."

"Then the divorce papers haven't gone through yet," Sherlock growled on the side.

"Do you happen to have sort of file on her past?" the blonde asked.

"I have some files on her, yes," Mycroft sighed. "I'll have them pulled. I'm guessing you're already on your way."

"Uh, yeah," John replied.

"See you soon, brother dear," Sherlock said, taking the phone from John and hanging up the call. "Can't stand being vulnerable around him."

The doctor chuckled. The rest of the cab ride was silent with Sherlock delving into his mind palace.

***

Sherlock entered his brother's office with a flourish, throwing the door open and quickly striding to his desk.

"Good afternoon, brother dear," Mycroft smirked, looking up from his paperwork.

"Files. Now," Sherlock demanded.

"Patience, Sherlock," John said.

Mycroft pointed to a single, thin folder. "This is what Marge found."

Sherlock picked up the folder and opened it, scanning its contents. He threw it back on the desk and glared at his brother. "That can't be it!"

"I'm afraid this is it," the elder Holmes sighed. "Most of her personal records are going to be in America."

"I don't understand," John spoke. "She married Moriarty, wouldn't the American government send over her files too?"

"That's not how it works, John," Sherlock sighed, closing his eyes. "She was born in America, and that's where her files will stay."

The office was silent, but the ringing of Sherlock's mobile interrupted it. (Y/N)'s face lit the screen.

"Hello?" Sherlock answered, immediately putting the phone on speaker.

"Hey, Sherl," (Y/N)'s voice came through the speaker. "I have a question for you."

Sherlock was listening and didn't respond. John sighed and answered for him, "What is it?"

"The NYPD has a murder investigation on their hands," she explained. "It's a bit tricky, and they contacted me to see if you wanted the case."

"Give the details." came the detective's reply.

The sound of rustling paper was heard as (Y/N) flipped open the case file. "Reagan Greenwoode was found dead in Central Park on Thursday, February third at ten in the morning." she started. "There's no sign of a bodily injury, so they suspect it's poison."

"Obviously," Sherlock scoffed. "It sounds like a five so far, and I'm not keen on taking it yet."

"I haven't gotten to the interesting bit yet," (Y/N) chided. "Her body was found under a tree, and carved into the trunk was a heart with 'R. G. + V. K.', along with the number eleven."

"What do you think so far?" the consulting detective asked.

"Well, V. K. could stand for 'Valentine's Killer', and Valentine's day is eleven days away. It may be when they're going after their next victim." (Y/N) replied.

Sherlock smirked and said, "You're so brilliant. John and I'll be in New York as soon as possible."

"I'll see you then."

She hung up and Sherlock turned to his brother, who had been silent the entire time. "You can take my private jet," Mycroft sighed, rolling his eyes. "Go be the hero in America. And please, do be on your best behavior for the American officials."

"No promises!" Sherlock shouted, another smirk gracing his features. "Now, John and I have a flight to catch."

Oh, no, don't wanna be a monster among men

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A.N: So, I know in my Christmas special I said I wasn't going to update 'Youngblood' anymore, but I found these bonus songs and with Valentine's Day literally tomorrow, I decided I would use these four bonus songs as a Valentine's special!

The next four chapters (Monster Among Men, Meet You There, Babylon, and When You Walk Away) are all a part of the special. Not all parts are being published today, but the first two parts will be.

Reader, your past is about to get 1) complicated, and 2) revealed.

Until next time,

~Em