15. Waiting On the World to Change

They decided to head out. They knew they could really go anywhere and neither of them really wanted to go back to Oregon.

"You should drive." Kai spoke looking at her.

"I don't know how to." She told him as they got into the car. "Plus I don't know where we are going."

"Well I'm sick of seeing Mickey Mouse every time I get dressed so we'll start with that." He told her. "And you're driving."

"Mal, no." She looked at him crossing her arms.

"P, yes." He replied smiling to her. He grabbed her hand and put the keys in them.

"What if we die?" She asked looking at the keys.

"We'll come back." He shrugged. "No one can die in here."

"What?" She asked surprised. It wasn't hard for her to pick up that he must of tried to kill himself at one point if he was sure you couldn't die here.

"You didn't know that?" Kai asked as they started walking.

"No. I haven't really thought about it. How do you know?" She asked curiously as he let out a soft scoff.

"Sixteen Years is a long time to be alone. I thought about dying a few times." He shrugged. It was more than just a few times though. He'd tried to kill himself in so many different ways, but it never worked.

Penelope looked at him as he walked forward. "Yeah that's a long time." She replied not sure what else to say. She felt bad, but she knew he probably didn't want her pity. "Well then I guess we don't have anything to loose." She told him as she got into the drivers seat of the car.

She sat there while Kai got into the other seat. She held the wheel looking forward not sure what to do next. It was almost common sense for her to realize that the keys had something to do with it. She looked around unsure before seeing the ignition.

Kai watched amused letting her figure it out on her own. It took her a few seconds to find the ignition. She put the key in and the car turned on.

She looked at the petals and stepped on the gas. The engine started revving but because they were in Park it stayed still. She pressed harder and Kai laughed.

"P, stop." He told her putting his hand out.

"Isn't the car supposed to go now?" She asked confused.

"Well you're still in park, P." Kai replied putting his hand on the joystick.

She nodded lightly as Kai moved his hands. She moved it to Drive, at least she assumed it was because of the D.

She looked ahead and the car moved. "Wait I'm not on gas." She spoke worried.

"Put your foot on the left pedal." He instructed as she did so. She looked at the pedals and pressed the break.

"Okay this isn't that bad." She took a breath.

"Now where's the nearest mall?" She asked turning to Kai.

"Drive And I'll navigate." He nodded as she gripped the wheel.

She looked forward and pushed as hard as she could on the gas. The car started going fast and she freaked out slamming on breaks. She took a breath.

"Go easy." Kai smiled lightly.

"I bet you find this so amusing huh?" She asked looking at him. He put an inch between his thumb and pointer finger. "Ass." She rolled her eyes looking forward.

She decided to go fast. She really didn't understand how to go slow anyway so why the hell not.

"I didn't mean to." Penelope spoke as she watched the blood flow down her leg from the scratches.