Chapter One

Sitting down outside, the dark sky hosting the moon and the many stars, the mosquitoes biting ones skin without relenting, disturbing ones ears with their fluttering noises, their presence an annoying distraction to the life's that wish to enjoy the night air.

The whooshing of the trees in the compound and the lamp burning beside the old man's stool called the attention of many light attracted insects, their wings giving them authority above the flames of the lit candle.

Everyone sat anxiously waiting for the siren to ring to indicate there was electricity, no one was interested in putting on their generator, not even my father, he had gotten tired of the distance between our place and the fueling station, everyone was wishful, hopeful but as every hour passed, every doors and lamps went shut and off, everybody began to loose the thin thread holding their faiths together.

"Papa Chinaza, why do we sit and wait like predators anxiously awaiting for their preys to be caught in the trap?", daddy Bunmi asked his neighbor, slapping his back as he felt the bite of a mosquito.

"I do not know daddy Bunmi, I do not know, all I know is I'm retiring to bed, I just hope the coil has been able to ward off those blood thirsty insects that disturbs my night rest".

Daddy Bunmi laughed, he looked towards the sky, watching the pole for electricity as the line became unnoticed in the night sky.

He could relate to his neighbours turmoil, his wife no longer cooked food or soup that could last the entire week, as the fridge had become hot since the last time they had sort for fuel to run throughout the night. How long has been? Two weeks? Three? A month? He could hardly remember.

He was getting tired, at least he was grateful for the cold night breeze that seemed to push all of them in the community to bed, or was it the exhaustion from awaiting the miracles of electricity?, well he'll never know.

"Good night daddy Bunmi, let me rest before the hustle and bustle of the day knocks at my door". Papa Chinaza said as he stood up and walked into the building, turning to his left and entering his house, leaving daddy Bunmi outside to entertain the insects.

Inside the house, Bunmi listened in for the footsteps of her father, she was so nervous that her body had failed to recognize the midnight air, as her pores opened excreting sweat.

How will she tell her father that her mother's sister had asked her to come live with her on the island in Lagos?

Bunmi hoped her mother was awake for this, so it would be safer relaying the news to his ears, and easing him down in other to see to reasons.

As she sweat profusely, Bunmi prayed silently for a miracle.

Finally tired of staying outside, Bunmi's dad walked into the house, shutting the door behind him, the lamps still lit to illuminate the small living room.

He stood and sighed, "when would things change in this community".

He could only wonder, resigning from his thoughts he ventured into the passage way, heading for his room, midway, Bunmi appeared, greeting her father, as her knees lowered but made no connection with the ground.

Startled, Mr Bunmi looked at his daughter with shocked eyes.

"Olabunmi, what is the matter?". He asked in belief that something wasn't right.

Tugging at her night dress, and simultaneously scratching her hair, Bunmi found ways in her head to speak to her father but all proved hard to muster as they were all unspoken words that she was scared to utter.

"My child, is everything okay, is your mother okay?"

Bunmi's dad began to fright, scared that something terrible may have occurred, he tried side stepping her to check on his wife but Bunmi never moved an inch.

"Ba mi, nothing is wrong with maami".

Impatient and wary, Daddy Bunmi urged his daughter to speak up.

"Go on, tell me what's wrong Bunmi", his tone commanding yet unraised.

As Bunmi opened her mouth to speak, the light came on, then the shouts of the whole community arose with great heights, even that of Bunmi's mother joined.

The whole issue forgotten, as everyone danced about before rushing off to do the necessary, once done with filling the water in all the baths, stocking the fridge with water to drink and other food stuffs, everyone retreated to their rooms.

Bunmi sat with a sullen expression at her failed attempt, she felt sad, tears staining her beautiful light brown eyes. As she plugged her phone to light, awaiting the screen to come up after three days of no charge.

She heard a knock at her door, uncertain of it sound, Bunmi remained in place, steadily waiting to hear it again, this time it came with the sound of her father's voice.

"Olabunmi, can I come in?".

Getting up from her bed, she opened the door, allowing her father's presence to occupy the small space. As she sat on her bed, her father stood monitoring her, waiting hoping she would carry on with whatever had made her stop him earlier on from entering his room to rest.

He already knew what she was about to request, but he played it cool, as he asked her once more.

"Ola, you wanted to tell me something before now?" He probed, noticing how quick she had gotten nervous but shook her head instead, it was a sign that she'd rather say no than tell him.

Bunmi's dad smiled.

"Ola, I know what it is you want and I can assure you that asking me about it won't do you any wrong but anyways, your mother and I think it best that you go stay with your aunt, you're old enough now and I trust you know what's right from wrong?".

She nodded "Ese sir", she spoke trying to hide her excitement.

"it's all good my child, now get some rest, you've got some packing to do in the morning".

He turned to head out but remembered he had forgotten to say something but his daughter beat him to it.

"Goodnight Ba mi"

He caught her smile before replying, "Goodnight my child, may God keep you as you close your eyes to sleep".

Immediately Bunmi's dad left her room, she jumped up with so much joy.

The night was good for her, but what made her extremely happy was the fact that, not only was living with her aunt the main reason she was scared to talk but the fact that she had already secured herself a job.

....

I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THIS BOOK FOR A LONG TIME NOW....
FINALLY DECIDED TO PUBLISH IT.

DON'T FORGET TO HIT THE STAR BUTTON.