The Sparks Begin

Nishiura High had been preparing for the Fall Saitama Prefectural Tournament, but there was something different with practice on that Monday afternoon. There was a woman, early in her 20s, chatting happily with Coach Momoe near the bench. She was carrying a large tote bag and wearing her short hair in small twin buns.

"This is Aizawa Erina," said Coach Momoe after the Nishiura boys gathered. "She's a sports science major in N university and plans to observe our practice for her research project. Please treat her kindly."

"Yes, Ma'am! Nice to meet you!" The boys greeted loudly in unison.

"I'll mostly observe the pitching practice only, but please take care of me," Aizawa bowed slightly in response, wearing a soft smile. Coach Momoe dismissed the boys and began their practice, but not before personally introducing Abe and Mihashi to Aizawa.

"Mihashi is in the middle of changing his form, so it may be unstable," Coach Momoe explained. "Is that alright?"

"No problem! An added unique touch is always good for presentation," Aizawa's face lit up. Momoe nodded. "If that's so, go ahead."

Aizawa followed Abe and Mihashi to their bullpen. She steadied a digital camera in her hands and took numerous photos in one go. She checked the photos immediately, sighed, and took another set. After several tries, she moved and did the same from different angles.

"Mihashi, are you okay?" Abe yelled while throwing back the ball to Mihashi, making sure the timid guy was unaffected by the presence of a stranger. Mihashi shook his head vigorously. "Good, let's move on."

Aizawa seated herself at the field side now, facing the bullpen few metres away. She jotted things down in her notebook while swiping her camera screen back and forth. Occasionally, she turned to watch the battery.

On her notebook, Aizawa had figure stick sketches with arrows and numbers. She grumbled. "It is better to have 3D view, after all. I wonder if I can derive enough from photos...?" She glanced at Mihashi going through his windup motions. "I have read that pitchers have their own motions... but even though I'm told he is changing his form, I don't know what's different...?" Aizawa scratched her head. A lock of hair fell to her face. "I should've studied more about baseball... But Maria-nee is busy with her part-time jobs! Argh, the misery of a greenhorn trying to analyse sportsmen."

Aizawa stayed until Abe and Mihashi finished their 100 throws. When she saw Mihashi run off to the bench, she got to her feet and dusted her rears rather violently.

Abe approached her. "Excuse me, do you mind sharing the photos with me?" It startled Aizawa.
"Of course! Why, apparently you also need it?"

"It will help me monitor Mihashi's form, although I don't know if I can see anything of difference."

"Ah! That's the same for me!" Aizawa cried out instantly. "I was watching Mihashi-kun, but I just don't understand anything, you know? My work focuses on muscle biomechanics, but I know none about baseball. Both Maria-nee and Uncle Momoe are deeply involved with baseball, but I haven't inherited the genes, probably."

Aizawa's sudden narration startled Abe in return, and he had several questions. "...Uncle Momoe?"

"Ah, I'm actually your coach's cousin," Aizawa beamed. "We're quite close and that's why I can ask her to observe your practice. It's convenient to do work when I personally know the person in charge."

"Ah," Abe thought quietly that Aizawa and Coach Momoe actually looked a bit similar. "About Mihashi's form, we've recently adopted the windup."

"The what?" Aizawa, who had tucked away her notebook, swiftly reopened it to a blank page. Abe repeated and explained more about Mihashi's windup and Aizawa continued writing them down.