The Sparks Afterwards

"This time, I'm studying pro tennis players. The practice field is so far away... I wish there is 30 hours in a day..."

It was the message Aizawa had sent Abe this morning. He only read it after morning practice and typed his reply in class.

"If there was 30 hours in a day, I would be able to practice longer too." He wrote as a cheekish smile rose in his face. "P.S. don't fall for a tennis player."

Aizawa replied immediately. "Idiot. Pro tennis players have more money and fame than some unknown highschool baseball player. You should've sent me off gladly."

Abe read the whole message in Aizawa's distinct joking tone, and he was about to reply when he received another text message. "JK~☆ I will wait until you're successful and able to buy me expensive gifts." Abe scoffed. This woman always says whatever she wants, he thought.

So far, they had only been texting, and not even everyday. Abe kept his word and did give 100% solely for baseball, and Aizawa never complained. She had told him that she would forgive him for neglecting her only if he won his matches, and it had boosted Abe's motivation significantly.

***

"Abe-kun," Coach Momoe called out to Abe suddenly, right after their morning meeting. "You may have another responsibility in your life, now, but I trust that it will never affect your baseball?" 

Realizing what Momoe meant, Abe was flustered. "She told you!?" He almost raised his voice.

"Of course, she knows you're our important cather afterall. I had thought you'd told me too. When you get a girlfriend, your time might get divided and it might affect the team, I'm sure you have considered that," Momoe said. "Will you tell them?"

"I will," Abe grumbled. "And don't worry, Coach. I will use all my time for baseball."

Coach Momoe blinked in disapproval, and sighed. "Since I know the other party, maybe I can butt in a little," she said. "If you fully neglect her, it's the same as you don't date her."

Abe, perplexed, stayed quiet. He finally muttered, "I get it. Thanks, Coach." Before running off to join the others on the field.

Once in the field, Abe announced casually, "I got a girlfriend," ignoring the loud reactions from his teammates. "But I promise it won't affect my practice."

Hanai was the only one who got full grasp of Abe's situation, and he scoffed. "Of course. We trust you on that."

The other boys kept pestering Abe and bombarding him with questions until Coach Momoe scolded them.

  *** 

"The Four Cities tournament is near and I can't afford to play around now. But after we win, I may be able to go somewhere with you."

Aizawa found the uncertainties emitting from Abe's recent text cute. She replied, "You don't need to force yourself."

Her phone buzzed shortly after the message was sent, and apparently Abe was calling her.

"I'm not forcing myself," he grunted as soon as Aizawa picked up the call. "If I don't fill my role as boyfriend, you may find yourself a tennis player."

Aizawa laughed heartily. "What is this? Why are you trying to act an adult?"

"I'm not an adult yet but at least I can try to treat you right." Silence. "Because I need you to watch me become national champions."

How cute! Aizawa wanted to teleport to where Abe was and gave him a tight hug.

"Aizawa, you promised not to treat me as a kid as well," Abe continued.

"When have I ever?" said Aizawa. "Okay, make sure you win the tournament and we'll go on a date as your reward." She was unable to see it but she could sense Abe's improving mood from his voice.

"I... want to see you too," he finally admitted. "When I talk to you like this, it makes me miss you."

"I'll bring over cakes to your house next weekend," Aizawa calmly responded. "You can see me for a few minutes, is that okay?"

Abe remained silent. Currently, he felt extremely pampered. "Stay longer than a few minutes, will you?"

Aizawa chuckled. "Okay. Until your mind is back to baseball."

"Good night, Aizawa," he softly sung.

"Good night," she replied. She felt mischievous, and went on, "Takaya."

She immediately hung up and giggled imagining Abe's flustered face. Her phone buzzed as it received a text from Abe, saying,

"Good night, Erina."