FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR: THE BRILLIANT MECHANIC

Their debriefing ended soon after, during which ELL-1 had remained silent. For some reason, an emotion she'd never felt had run itself through her circuits during her system error. A quick diagnostics check however had fixed the problem and she'd found herself in control again. If she was going to complete this assignment, she'd have to limit the number of glitches she was having to a bare minimum. Perhaps she could run a full, system-wide analysis later to determine the source of it all.

After their meeting, General Organa had asked her to walk with her up to the main hangar bay again. Silence stretched between them, and while the older woman looked as calm and serene as she could be, ELL-1 had several inquiries on her cybernetic mind about the debriefing earlier.

There was only one specific question though that needed to be answered.

"General," She spoke up, turning to her, "If you don't mind me asking, I have a question."

The pair halted near the entrance of the hangar bay as the older woman surveyed the people. Leia nodded to her, indicating for her to continue.

"You own me, General," She started, albeit a bit bluntly, "Yet you stated earlier that you are not my master. Why?"

At first, her eyebrows raised up at her straightforwardness, however a soft, knowing smile soon overcame her features.

"Someday, I hope you'll know the answer to that question yourself, ELL-1," She replied cryptically, "But for now, we should get you settled in so you can start working. As you can see, we're running low on mechanics, so I'm hoping you can put your scanners to good use."

She knew she wasn't going to get any more answers out of the General, so she reluctantly nodded, confusion still clouding her circuits. General Organa was certainly not one to be delayed, so for the time being, ELL-1 put her questions to the back of her mind. Her answer would just have to wait.

"Of course, General," ELL-1 bowed to her, "You won't be disappointed."

Another lie.

"I'm sure I won't," She replied, sincerely, "For now, I'll leave you in the care of one of our brightest technicians..."

She looked all around, seemingly confused, before spotting a girl sitting on one of the many boxes of supplies strewn about the hangar. She was currently reading something intently, a manual perhaps?