Chapter 17: The ex-boyfriend's side

Taemin and I met at the café near the school. “Key, do you like Chae Ri?” those were the first words that came to Taemin’s mouth right after I took my seat. It seems like he has a lot to say and does not want to waste time. “Yes. I like her.” I said without hesitation. “But it’s only one-sided because Chae Ri likes Taemin-ssi” I explained. I’m being truthful the moment I said that. Although I haven’t told him everything, this is pretty much the truth.

 “Chae Ri and I.. we met when we were kids.” Taemin started telling a story. “I couldn’t tell her I love her for 10 years. I almost lost the chance to be with her. I’m willing to lose everybody just for her. I don’t need the fame I have in school. All I need is Chae Ri.” He explicated. I didn’t know Taemin likes Chae Ri this much. They like each other so much. I don’t want to be in between of their relationship. I want Chae Ri to be happy.

 “Please.. stay away from Chae Ri until we get to Japan” Taemin asked me this favor. The hardest favor I was asked to do. “Don’t worry, Taemin-ssi. I’m sure Chae Ri wants to be with you. She likes you.” I clarified. It feels like telling to myself for the nth time that the one I like doesn’t want me at all. She might have enjoyed my company as a friend, but that was all.

 I left the café with teary eyes. I know, not manly at all. Mari is calling me, I promised to meet her today. “Hello?” I picked up my phone with hesitations. Mari will sense that something’s wrong with my voice. But I picked it up anyway. “Key-goon. Where are you? Are you at home? I’m going there!” she said under her breath. “Wait what? Mari! Ma-“ I said but she already ended the call. Seems like I have to go home for now.

 I actually don’t want to face Mari or anyone right now. I look so devastated. Like a freaking heartbroken girl. My heart is like a girl’s heart, it’s really fragile. All my life, I was heartbroken for just twice. But it feels like hell.

 “Key-goon. What happened?” Mari asked me as she enters my room. I hugged her with my crying eyes. After that, I told her everything in details. I guess Chae Ri didn’t tell her anything –except that Taemin came. She was the one who informed Chae Ri—I cannot stop my tears as I tell her my story.

 “Yah, pabo!” She said. “Why?!” I asked her.

 “Just because Taemin asked you to stay away, you’re going to stay away for real?!”

 “That’s what Chae Ri wanted, of course!”

 “It’s what Taemin wanted. We don’t know how Chae Ri feels right now. “

 “I can’t beat the years they’ve been together. They like each other. I can’t stay between them. Would you like it if I came between you and Jinki hyung?”

 “No. But that’s a different story. That’s why you lost me, you’re simple minded. You always think negative! Do you know what’s the worst regret? It’s ‘when it was already with you but you decided to let it go.’ You’re going to regret it than when you lost me.”

“You don’t understand, Mari. “

“Your choice, Key. Chae Ri will leave tomorrow morning. Seems like this morning will really be the last time you’ll see each other.” Mari said as she left my room. I feel sorry for arguing with Mari. She helped me a lot all these years but all I did was argue with her. 

(A/N: Pabo=Stupid! Taemin-ssi= a pun they use when you're not that close with the one you're talking to. Key-goon= a pun you say at the end of a friend guy's name|| I used the name I loved by Onew as the song for this chapter because it just fits. Check out the multimedia box ^^)