FIGHT CLUB

Ever since the nuclear breakout in 1979, where every child born then and after inherited some sort of supernatural power, average jobs have become extraordinary. The people with enhanced strength went into the military. Those with high intelligence became professors or scientists.

Jobs became a hodgepodge of the abilities you were born with, and Josh's weren't anything special. He had wings and he could teleport, but it wasn't unique enough to land him any special scholarships for the college he's attending. Nobody would give him a chance to prove himself.

So, with the help of Debby, he started participating in Trench, an organization of underground fighting. Josh didn't use a stage name, because he didn't need one. He just needed the money. Despite it being illegal to use your abilities outside of a job setting, he was paid a hell of a lot more for getting his ass kicked than he would've gotten working at the food joint across his apartment.

Then his popularity skyrocketed. It's not his fault one of the top fighters challenged him to fight, and Josh beat him to a miserable pulp. He wasn't about to let some sly snake guy ruin his reputation with snarky comments. But now, one of the other top fighters- number one, in fact- has challenged him too. Not out of revenge, but curiosity. And Josh regrets even accepting the deal.

Blurryface is the only official name Josh knows him by, but he has more that his fans have given him. Dead Man Walking, Red Eyes, and scariest of all, Black Death. He's never lost a fight since he began fighting over a year before Josh started, and he is no exception. But Josh has never turned down a fight either, and he wasn't about to start because a scary fighter challenged him.

The air in the dim, underground arena seems to still the moment Josh's feet touch the mat. No one dares to breathe. He flexes his hands to test the bandages on his knuckles, looking around to catch Debby watching anxiously from the sidelines. She sends him a thumbs up, but he can tell that she's just as scared as he is.

"Turn back, kid. You won't win this fight."

Those are the first and only words Josh's opponent speaks. His wings flutter in annoyance and he bends his knees, getting into a fighting stance.

"You're the one who called me, and you want me to back out? Fat chance, Blur," Josh says

The man across from him is unmoving from his side of the circular ring, the only thing visible being his dark eyes and messy brown hair that sticks out like permanent bedhead. Every inch of him is covered in bandages, wrapped loosely so Josh only gets snippets of tan skin peeking underneath. Over the bandages, he's wearing a black short sleeve button down and skinny jeans and his feet are bare. It's not normal fighting attire, but nothing about this man is normal.

Josh wonders what his abilities are. He's never seen him fight before, but they'd have to be impressive given his position as the scariest and strongest fighter in Trench. Maybe accepting this fight was a mistake.

Brad, one of the leaders of Trench, rings the bell to signify the start of the fight. For a moment, neither of them move, only sizing each other up.

Blurry is tall and thinner than Josh thought. He's borderline skeletal, and he sways on his feet like any gust of wind could blow him away. His hands are relaxed and limp at his sides, yet he stares intensely ahead at Josh, his eyes burning into him.

Josh moves first, running forward and aiming a punch for Blurry's stomach. Before he gets even a yard into his personal space, he notices something black from the corner of his eye, and he's on the ground at the feet of the man.

Searing hot fire blooms around his ankle, but Josh shoots back to his feet. The brown-eyed man easily sidesteps his second attack and grabs his forearm, launching him back with a simple push. His wings parachute around him, slowing Josh down enough to regain his footing and run forward.