Chapter 12: Miss You

Rose's tears slowly slide down her cheek as she inhales Scorp's scent. She never really could ping exactly what he smelled like. Each time she took in Scorp's scent it was always something different. Sometimes he smelled like sandalwood. Other times he smelled like fresh grass from the quidditch pitch. Often times he aromatized the scent of dust, after he had been examining muggle artifacts. Right now as they held one another in their arms and Scorp whispered comforting words in her ear, he smelled like the pages of a book, as if he had spent hours in a library. 

"You smell good." She mutters into his shoulder. She feels his laugh before she hears it. 

"Thanks Rosie." He pulls back slightly, so that she was still in his arms, but far enough that he could still examine her face. Her blue eyes were dull and puffy from crying. Her bright red hair looked silky and smooth, completely clashing with her pale skin. He has seen her a million times and has had her face engraved in his memory for years, but he still can't stop himself from admiring her pink lips. It had been months since he kissed them and he was at the point where he thought he might die if he couldn't do it. A bit dramatic he knew, but that's exactly how he felt. 

"I'm sorry Rose." He admits, locking his hands tighter around her waist. He wasn't quite ready to let her go yet. "I lost my temper and I shouldn't have. I know how important your Dad is to you, so I'll go apologize." He makes to move away, but Rose's grip is like steel around his hips. He raises a questioning eyebrow at her.

"Wait. I've got something to say." She explains, releasing him from her hold. Rose's hands begin to sweat nervously. She was so busy running around the Room of Hidden Things looking for him that she hadn't given a second thought to what she was going to say when she actually did find him. Did she just confess that she loves him? Does she apologizes? Does she lay out a detailed plan of how their relationship could work? 

Scorp sighs. "If this is about what just happened, Rose I really am sorry-"

"I was wrong." She blurts out, before he could finish. 

Scorp's eyes widen in complete surprise. Never had Rose admittedly said those words before. She is always adamant that she is right 100% of the time. "I'm sorry can you repeat that."

Rose decides to ignore him and instead takes a step closer to him. His smell wafts into her nose and reassures her that she is making the right choice. "When I first saw you, I was so sure that we were going to be enemies. Dad had talked about how horrible the Malfoy family was for years and I was set to hate you, but then I saw those kids bullying you on the train." A ghostly smile takes over Rose's face. "There you were not saying a word as they called you horrible names. I come from a family where we are always on the offense. We attack first and worry about the consequences later. I'd never seen someone just take it and something in me just snapped.  I knew that I couldn't let you go through that anymore, so I opened the compartment door told the boys to bugger off and decided that I was going to be your friend."

Scorp stood there staring at her, unsure what to say as she talked about the first time they met. His heart beats wildly as his mind began to conjure up thoughts that she just might forgive him. He pushes those down immediately, he couldn't afford to get his hopes up. 

Rose's eyes refuse to meet his gaze and stay steadily focused on her own hands, which were gesturing with every word she spoke. 

"I didn't care what my father said or what anyone else thought. I still don't. Scorp you've been the best mate anyone could have asked for. These past few months have been absolute torture." Rose looks up and finally meets Scorp's confused gaze. She pauses, taking in a deep breath. "I miss pulling pranks on Al with you, studying with you, going to your quidditch matches. I miss listening to you tell me stories about muggles. I miss your stupid jokes and teaching you charms. I miss hugging you. I miss talking to you. I miss our friendship and most of all I just miss you."